Snapshot Serengeti Talk

How many people review each picture?

• biminibob by biminibob

How many people will be asked to review each picture?

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

We're trying out an algorithm right now that chooses the number of people to review each picture based on how well the initial people agree. So, for example, if all the first people agree that there's a zebra in an image, then we'll stop showing it after 5 people seeing it. If those first five people, don't all agree, then we'll show it for much longer.

Posted

• Onegoodturn by Onegoodturn

Hopefully that will cull a lot of the 'nothing here' pics quite quickly too.

Posted

• Xezlec by Xezlec

I think people would be more inclined to look very closely if they knew it was one people had disagreed on. Otherwise, you're likely to just keep getting the same "first glance" answer from the majority. Just a thought.

Posted

• MaggieF59 by MaggieF59

It'd be nice if there was a magnify option - a couple of pictures I could see animals in the background, but they were too far away to identify, so i clicked on "nothing here."

Posted

• vjb by vjb

What about a herd choice? I have sort of defaulted to wildebeest when I can't tell what is moving across the screen. Also, I'm curious as to what sort of ratio you are having of "nothing here" to something. I am sure we are cutting down a lot of work just by looking at nice scenery (or sometimes pitch black). I would love to here feedback from the "consumers of our data", i.e. the scientists.

Posted

The "nothing here"s are pretty common in the first season, but drop off a bit in later seasons as we got better about camera positioning. I don't have exact stats right now (until you all classify a bunch of images), but it appears that it's maybe 50-50 in that first season.

Posted

• Janet_Jaguar by Janet_Jaguar

by MaggieF59 It'd be nice if there was a magnify option - a couple of
    pictures I could see animals in the background, but they were too far
    away to identify, so i clicked on "nothing here."

You can magnify everything, including picture on your browser - CTRL-+ (Control key - Plus key).

And reduce it back in size with the Minus or Dash key: CTRL-MINUS

Posted

• sbpj by sbpj

Would it be possible to have an "X marks the spot" option so that someone else with better eyes/screen can look at that spot and decide whether or not your something WAS a proper something?

Posted

• Muzzy165 by Muzzy165

Sometimes you see something moving, but cannot tell what it is at all. Not even looks-like-a-....! It might be a good idea to introduce a "someone else have a good look" button?

Posted

• hdevos by hdevos

Any way to zoom in on an iPad 2? My spread-fingers isn't working on this site. Also, it would be helpful if the choices were grouped by mammal, bird, reptile -- I saw a large lizard in one photo, looked for lizard in the list and didn't see it, chose nothing here, and then several photos later saw the Reptiles choice.

Posted

• Robcheerio by Robcheerio

I've been tagging the ones I'm not sure about as #unknown on the discuss page.

Posted

• Sloan by Sloan

What do I do when I can see a number of animals in the distance of a shot? Clearly the answer is not that there is nothing there! But that it is not necessarily possible to identify them.

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

I'm beginning to recognise some shots that I've seen several times. There are a couple that I've seen three times now. When you count the first five ratings, are they the first five from different people, or just the first five?

Yes, I'd say that the images are 50/50 for blanks vs those with animals. I guess that if I leave it a few days, many of the blanks will have been weeded out.

Posted

• Elizabeth.Ann by Elizabeth.Ann moderator

Sloan: For images that are very far away and hard to identify, try your best, if you can zoom in (ctrl and+) and see what it is or make an educated guess please do! However, if it is so far away that there is no way to distinguish it from say, a rock, save that it is moving then just click nothing there.

Posted

tirralirra: you don't actually ever get the same image twice. But if the animals don't move much, they can have their photos taken multiple times. The time-out for the camera is about a minute. So if you have a gazelle standing in front of a camera for twenty minutes, you might get twenty very similar shots.

Posted

• zookeeper by zookeeper admin

The trouble is that people are bad at assessing confidence, so we want everyone's best guess not just a record they thought someone else should look!

Chris

Posted

• robertjcarlson by robertjcarlson

Another way to zoom is to use CTRL+mouse_scroll_wheel

Posted

• LoraO by LoraO moderator

Thank you for the suggestion! This is actually the reason we have multiple people look at any picture, to check and double-check that the animals spotted are generally agreed-upon. All pictures go through multiple sets of eyes.

Posted

• aladar by aladar

Is there a way to have a better resolution pictures placed there? In any way we zoom in it is actually just showing the pictures in bigger, but not with more details.

Posted

• Ettina by Ettina

The resolution is determined by the camera, I think. If the camera didn't record the detail, no amount of zooming will show it. (This is one thing movies get wrong!)

Posted