Snapshot Serengeti Talk

What would be the most rare animal to see?

• katieofoz by katieofoz

Just wondering what is something special to come across?
    Every now and then I find something I havent seen before but I dont know if its rare enough to warrant a post

Posted

• froxx by froxx

I have only seen 1 rhino till now. Seems to be pretty rare. Cannot find it in the popular hashtags.

Posted

• katieofoz by katieofoz

I just found my first aardwolf...not sure if they are rare?

Posted

• katieofoz by katieofoz

I havent seen any rhinos yet

Posted

• froxx by froxx

I have only seen the body. The head is out of the picture 😦

Posted

• katherineslive.co.uk by katherineslive.co.uk

I've seen most species, but only one aardvark. Missing some of the cats though.

Posted

• alejandrojl by alejandrojl

I see one porcupine and one small reptil

Posted

• drakelupus by drakelupus

I found a blue something like snake / chicken

Posted

• cyzaki by cyzaki

A blue snake/chicken would be a guinea fowl.

I haven't seen any rhinos, or many big cats. Mostly it's wildebeest, zebra and tommys!

Posted

• SpaceShipRat by SpaceShipRat

In two days. I've only seen one of baboon, giraffe, porcupine, that lizard that's the same one as in the example photo, lion, some small nocturnal cat, female researcher.

Posted

• cyzaki by cyzaki

I've only seen one baboon too. Seen a handful of giraffes though.

Plenty of humans too. Got a nice crotch shot at one point! 😛

Posted

• vjb by vjb

I've made a collection of my firsts. Anyone seen a hippo?

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Rarest things are probably: rhino, striped hyena, wildcat, and zorilla

Posted

• cyzaki by cyzaki

I've had three or four hippos. All of them in the dark.

Posted

• cyzaki by cyzaki

Here's another hippo!

enter image description here

Posted

• vjb by vjb

Cool!

Posted

• maggiemflynn by maggiemflynn

I've seen one hippo, but no rhinos.

Posted

• maggiemflynn by maggiemflynn

I keep seeing parts of elephants - haven't seen a whole one - just a leg, a trunk, a side - but there's no doubt what it is.

Posted

Think I've seen 3 rhinos. A real shock every time. Stunning!

Posted

My latest rhno

Have not seen wildcat or zorilla 😦

Posted

• schnitzi by schnitzi

I've seen one of each of these: porcupine, serval, hare, rhino, jackal, aardvark.

Posted

• katieofoz by katieofoz

I just found two hippos!

Posted

• katieofoz by katieofoz

Oh and heres a wildcat I think

Posted

• katieofoz by katieofoz

Opps and two hippos heading the other way. Guess they arent that rare

Posted

• tgr by tgr

Anyone seen a caracal yet? It's at the top of my wishlist right now 😃

Posted

• thowes by thowes

I've seen everything but: aardwolf, bat-eared fox, bushbuck, civet, genet, hare, rhinoceros, zorilla. The porcupine with two young was the best!!

Posted

• thowes by thowes

Yes, saw a definite caracal -- but just once.

Posted

@tgr, I got a caracal today:

http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG00086l9

Posted

Almost did a "happy dance" when I got it. 😃

Posted

• ahjorth by ahjorth

I've been doing so many I've seen them all. Actually started a collection today to get them all, but aren't adding the ones I've already found 😄

Posted

• MrBored by MrBored

First day looking at this and came across a Serval. Also, any one seen the Zebra with (ahem) 'five' legs? lol

Posted

• thowes by thowes

Yep, I saw that very well-endowed zebra too! Yikes!

Posted

• zoer27 by zoer27

Mostly it's zebra, wilderbeest, thompsons gazelle but I've seen a few buff, hippo's, giraffe and an amazing shot of a topi! As well as a couple that look to be lion!

Posted

• Mistshadow by Mistshadow

Of some of the rarer things, I've seen 3 cheetahs, plenty of lions, a serval, a porcupine, a hippo, 6 ostriches (in one picture 😛), and quite a few elephants. I've NEVER seen a striped hyena, though.. a ton of spotted hyenas. I also saw a hartebeest with what looked suspiciously like three legs..

I've also seen a researcher cutting the grass in front of the camera so that it could actually take pictures with what I originally thought was a golf club and that he was playing golf in the Serengeti, but which actually turned out to be some sort of machete-thing that looked a lot like a golf club.

Posted

• Nye by Nye

Found my first rhino (I think...it's blurry). http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG00079ln

And I don't know what this is, but it's something I haven't seen before: http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG0008g3e

Posted

• keeperdk by keeperdk

Thats definately a rhino 😃 the second looks like a guinea fowl with its head down

Posted

• keeperdk by keeperdk

Some of mine:
    Possible Wildcat ASG0000mn7
    Leopard ASG0003kbe
    Possible Rhino ASG00003ik
    Something I cant figure out ASG000aya6

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

I've seen only one Striped Mongoose.

Posted

• Mroger$ by Mroger$

In two days I saw giraffes, elephants, warthogs, eland, lion and lioness, hippopotamus, hyena, guinea fowls,and tons of gazelles,zebra and wildebeest,and one baboon.

Posted

• RUMURUTI by RUMURUTI

In the Serengeti some of rarest animals to be seen are Wild Dogs, Aardwolf and African Wild Cat.

Posted

• beckwhe by beckwhe

I saw a mongoose today

Posted

• swazihannah by swazihannah

Seen a leopard, a collared lioness and a civet...anyone got a honey badger I can look at? Plus am feel the early symptoms of addiction, just one more 'next capture' then I will stop...

Posted

• joe- by joe-

So far in the past hour, I've seen about 3,000,000 gazelles.

The rarest things I've come across, or rather, ones that seem rare for me. Baboon, Hyena, Elephants and Giraffes. Saw a few lions lying on top each other too.

Posted

• Safarini by Safarini

Hippos, cheetah, spotted hyena, giraffes, elephants, vervet monkey in the dark so I hope that's what it was. The thing that looks like a golf club the person was using to cut grass is locally known as a "slasher".

Posted

• vindkatte by vindkatte

I've had only one pic of an ostrich, but that one was extremely impressing. And no rhino yet.

Posted

• phraps by phraps

Recently found a really nice secretary bird 😃 other than that, almost no other birds...
    http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG0006he5

Posted

• Angel_48 by Angel_48

I saw a Rhino and a Human not too far from the Rhino facing it, I was really hoping that it wasn't a poacher.

Posted

• Dov by Dov

i think sometimes there are rangers looking after the rhinos to protect from poachers.

Posted

• Ettina by Ettina

I saw one that I'm pretty sure was a hedgehog. I agonized awhile over what to call it because hedgehog isn't in the list. Finally settled on 'porcupine' because they have spines.

Anyone seen a bat-eared fox? I saw one, running very fast with his ears flat. I bet he was running from something.

Posted

• orrery66 by orrery66

Are there bats in the Serengeti? I saved a picture to my desktop of what seems to be a bat flying almost off the right edge of the picture. I don't know how to load up an image into here though 😕 The image icon seems to want a web address, not an image.

Posted