Snapshot Serengeti Talk

What will happen when we are finished?

• Robcheerio by Robcheerio

Will there be a collection of the best photos? Will we be able to explore a summary of the initial results? Could you keep us updated in the future about how the data is used to benefit projects in the area?

Because it is such terrific fun identifying the animals, and looking at the photos, based on the progress so far; I think this project will be completed in a matter of days. Although that's great news for the scientists, it will be a bit of a shame for us armchair safari hunters (but good for our employers lol!)

It would be nice to stay involved/informed in the future though.

Cheers!

Posted

• katherineslive.co.uk by katherineslive.co.uk

I very much agree. Perhaps we can get the scientists to "spread the good word" to similar projects. Saw the scientists here were contacted on the blog by a guy doing a similar project for Moose and Caribou in the arctic. Not quite the Serengeti, but a good way to wean me off this addiction. 😃

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Yes, of course we'll keep you up-to-date on the research that comes out of this project. We couldn't do it without you!

Right now we're scrambling to prepare another Season's worth of data. We have the pictures -- we just need to get the datetime information off of them, assemble them, and get them loaded up into Snapshot Serengeti.

AND... the cameras are out there taking pictures now as we speak. So there will be more pictures coming, even if we zip through the first seasons quickly.

And yes, Zooniverse is planning to talk to other camera trapping projects. Who knows what other animals from other parts of the world might show up in a while?

Posted

• Robcheerio by Robcheerio

Yay! because I am away this weekend and I'm almost certian the science will get done before I get back.

Posted

• tgr by tgr

This is the kind of stuff that makes me think I should be in zoology instead of IT 😄 But then it's really a bit of both I guess 😃

Posted

• tnaran by tnaran

It's only been 3 days, and we're half way through Season 1 and Season 3! As a first pass at data analysis, can you post a "census" of animals recognized? 20,000 wildebeest; 15,000 zebra, etc.

Posted

• dancornwall by dancornwall

I am so glad to hear you have more photos to organize and that Zooniverse is talking to other camera trapping projects. I hope their field/identification guide will be as helpful as yours has been. The being able to pick color, pattern, horn etc has been VERY helpful to me.

Posted

• nathaliel by nathaliel

This is a great project! Best use of online 'down time' I've come across, especially for us wildlife geeks - I can put my zoology skills to wider use now! Hope to see many more in the future 😃

Posted

• pazithigallifreya by pazithigallifreya

Need to do one in India someday - TIGERS! 😄

Posted

• Veegee by Veegee

I find this much more fun than playing games on FB!! When I don't feel well and can't sleep at nite, I find the projects
    of Zooniverse are wonderful, this one really is fun, as who can afford a real safari anymore?

Posted

• Heronimus by Heronimus

Well actually i did some Safari's in Southern Africa this summer. Just found this project, and i'm Loving it! Almost like i'm back in Africa!

Posted

• so666 by so666

There are some really great pictures, can we have some selected ones in higher resolution?

Posted