Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Help! I'm addicted.

• thowes by thowes

Must. Stop. Snapshot Serengeti. Must. Do. Actual. Paid. Work. 😃 Thanks for such a great time-waster!

Posted

• dmotz3d by dmotz3d

No kidding!

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

But not a time-waster! Every click you made helps the project.

Posted

• thowes by thowes

Of course I didn't mean time-waster in a pejorative sense! Contributing to the project is fab and much better than (actually) spending time on, say, Angry Birds. But it is keeping me from my work b/c it is so interesting. 😃

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Isn't it just? I'm thinking it's probably a good thing there's likely going to be a short gap between us all finishing the current crop of images, and the scientists getting the next crop ready for us to work on - we need time to catch up with all the other stuff we haven't been doing since the project started, because it's so addictive! 😄

Posted

Ah yes...

Posted

• dmotz3d by dmotz3d

But it looks like the first 3 seasons are nearly complete. Are there others waiting to be worked on?

Posted

• Batolito by Batolito

what are the seasons??957 classifications and counting..

Posted

• vindkatte by vindkatte

I'm like: okay, one more, just one more, perhaps than it'll be the rhino. Just one more. Oh, no, look, it's a beautiful shot of a hippo at night. Okay, one more. Just one more. Ah, there's a cutie youngster buffalo ... This is way to much fun to do. And I learned a lot of new animal names and shapes. Now, I've to excuse myself, I'm gonna have just another look ...

Posted

• MSagalovsky by MSagalovsky

Addicting indeed! And so beautiful 😃

Posted

@dmotz3d : yes - I saw in another thread one of the scientists saying that season 4 is being prepared for distribution, but we're going so fast through seasons 1-3 they might not have season 4 ready straight after we finish these first three seasons. But it'll only be a pause of a week or two I think. And half of season 5 is currently on a hard disk in Serengeti but will eventually be brought over to the UK for processing. So we have at least 2 more seasons to look forward to. 😄

Posted

• Janet_Jaguar by Janet_Jaguar

They said it took 2 years for their office to go through 2 seasons once each photo. They clearly are on a learning curve, as to how quickly volunteers can go through high volume when it is so interesting! 😃

Posted

Indeed! I'm like vindkatte - just one more... oh look! ... ok, just one more... oh wow... ok ok this is definitely the last one for now then I'll get on with something else ... ok, just one more ... lol!

Posted

• thowes by thowes

I so want to see a rhino and a zorilla -- the only ones I haven't seen so far! But I promise I won't stop if I can just put ticks in their boxes 😃

Posted

• wasukasa by wasukasa

Oh my. I showed my teen daughters this and now we're all addicted. They both love animals and are interested in pursuing biology degrees, so if this is a time waster for them, it's the very best kind. I love these crowd sourcing projects, and love contributing in some small way to science.

Posted

• horkusone by horkusone

I cannot walk away. Even when I have to for a bathroom break, I am looking forward to more.

Oh and my wrist hurts. 😃

Posted

• Robcheerio by Robcheerio

Even some of the pictures without animals in are beautiful and interesting, at least to me they are.

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

Robcheerio i know what you mean, some of the pictures are beautiful, i collected a lovely sunset one, and some of the ones that look like they got a filter over them to give the appearance of a 'Martian' coloured landscape, are pretty too and some lovely images.

And yeah its vvvveryyy ADDICTIVE, but also therapeutic for me, I can't sleep some nights due to several health issues, so this has been another brilliant zooniverse project to help take my mind off the unrelating pain and problems caused by Lyme disease from a poppyseed sized Tick! 😦

So Thanks Snapshot Serengeti team for a really interesting, educational, addictive and therapeutic project. 😃

Posted

Can I put on my CV that I can ID a Hartbeest by its bum?

Posted

Hahahahahahah!

Posted

• Ettina by Ettina

"Can I put on my CV that I can ID a Hartbeest by its bum?"

Actually, if you're planning on working with African wildlife in some form, it would be a good idea to mention this project in your CV. It certainly does build skills.

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

It's partly addictive because it's so random - you never know what will come up - and because there are puzzles and challenges. For me too, it's an easy way 'home' - reconnecting with Serengeti and seeing parts of it I never saw when I lived and worked there.

Posted

• lifesart by lifesart

It's so true!!! I just had to put on a holiday luncheon and I am too tired to work, so Serengeti was a great place to rest, and the next capture wil lbe the most gorgeous of them all!

Posted

• craigpacker by craigpacker scientist

We hope to post Season 4 in the next day or so -- and we'll bring back Season 5 from Tanzania next month.
    I like to look thru the photos, too -- it's kind of like playing the slots or something: you go thru grass, grass, widebeest, wildebeest, etc, and then all of a sudden: JACKPOT - a leopard or cheetah or some other surprise!

Posted

• NigelThornBerry by NigelThornBerry

Please tell me you'll have more seasons after just 5, something like this should go on forever!

Posted

• dragonfly_laura by dragonfly_laura

Thank you so much for getting us involved in this project. I am like all the other commenters above, completely addicted and keep saying "just one more". I have always love wildlife shows since I was little, so this made classifying very easy as I didn't have to learn which animal was which. You never knew what would turn up next....oh a cheetah!!! The scenery was is beautiful. I love the idea of the triple shot as you can see what is in the picture so much easier when it moves as some animals camouflage is so good they hide in the single still photo. Thank you again for letting us get involved in this project.

Posted

• Lyn_Harper by Lyn_Harper

I seem to have identified everything ! There are no more shots available, it would seem. What do I do now ? I'll be getting awful withdrawal symptoms without my fix of beautiful animals ...

Can we start over again from the beginning ??

Posted

Heheh! Grit your teeth and hang on for just a little while, @Lyn Harper - it seems season 4 is almost ready. 😃

http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000002/discussions/DSG00009dq

Posted

• thowes by thowes

I'm almost regretting going away for the holidays cos I won't be able to participate for a week!!

Posted

• Joyhe by Joyhe

I've learned quite a bit about animals in this area-from just 10-15 minutes! Such a meaningful time waster! But tell me, where are the cameras (on the ground, trees, disguised as manure) and will you do other places (asia, america, amazon etc)

Posted

• schaep by schaep

Indeed spread the word to other scientist around the globe. 500.000? pictures classified 3 million times in a week. Thats just plain awesome. Get them to upload there pictures! 😃

Posted

• craigpacker by craigpacker scientist

Thanks so much to everyone for your participation and enthusiasm. We will do our best to keep the camera-trapping project going for the next 6 yrs (pending further funding from the National Science Foundation to extend the lion project when our current grant expires in October). Even in the worst case, we will post a Season 6 by the end of May and a Season 7 by the end of October. Hopefully we'll be able to post new seasons every few months thereafter.

Posted

I'll be looking forwards to those seasons going live here, and keep my fingers crossed that your funding is continued. This is one of the most enjoyable crowdsourced projects I've been involved in. Educational too! 😃

Posted

• rockhyrax by rockhyrax

I was driving through Richmond Park yesterday, and on seeing a group of deer found myself trying to count them while looking at their bottoms. Do I have a problem?

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

Oh dear! how do you know if your really addicted, you start to dream of classifying the animals........

I dream't, I was stood with a clip board in the middle of the herd of mixed animals around a source of water, having already counted the 3 adult Ostrich with 10 chicks, 22 Zebra, 11 of Tommy, Elephant n babies and 44 impala, 33 Buffalo and calves in distance and 9 lioness n 2 male lions brothers, on a mound in the distance, opposite to the Buffalo, also something not on this site were African wild dogs and there were 11 of those with 4 pups, a leopard up a tree, watching over the proceedings, then it came to counting the wildebeest and the big so and so's wouldn't stand still for me to count them, dancing n leaping about!! LOL I hadn't even started on the crows in the tree laughing at me trying to count the prancing wildebeest...... I think I defently need to go do something else.... but I can't I might miss something really interesting and new!!

Posted