Snapshot Serengeti Talk

My problem with this project

• samhe by samhe

Like the idea of this project, but i can't help but feel that zooniverse is more bothered about creating these projects than making them work well, or collecting as much information as they can. This latest project is well designed, but there are many aspects that annoy me. The lack of a zoom function and an 'i dont know' mean that i am sometimes forced to say no animal, even if there is, but cannot work out what it is. The scientists keep telling us to do things, but it is difficult for us mere citizens.

Posted

• maxnorton by maxnorton

There is no zoom function because the images are shown at full size and there are no extra pixels to show. There are probably good technical reason why the images rae the resolution they are. You can use your browsers zoom function: but it will only enlarge the existing pixels.

As for the I don't know option: read this blog post which explains the scientific reason there is none.

http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

Bottom line, if you see an animal make your best guess, don't mark nothing there. Knowing there is an animal there is important information even if the identification is next to impossible.

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

One thing I take from this project is that science sometimes IS a frustrating process. It is difficult at times.

I really admire this project. It's a very clever way to classify millions of images. I'm impressed by the interface even though it took me a while to learn the ins and outs. A lot of work has gone into providing guidance on classifying. For example I find that the examples presented cover all the important animals/birds plus a few of the really rare ones. And the five actions cover nearly everything - standing, resting, moving, eating, interacting. I have found the filters very helpful.

Re an 'I don't know' button, the blog post notes that they trialled one and found that 90% of responses used the button, making the data fairly useless. People take the easy option when it is offered so it is better not to offer it. I learnt to relax and not worry about getting it exactly right. I learnt that I love sleuthing an identity (my bird fieldguide at my elbow), but at the end I can take a shot in the dark and it won't spoil the data.

Re zoom - I followed the advice of someone in the discussion forum and downloaded IrfanView - it works a treat by drop and drag.

I'm sorry aspects are annoying you. I hope you can find enough enjoyment to overcome the annoyances.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Would be nice if this forum interface had an "I agree"/"Kudos"/"Great post" button. If it did, I'd have clicked it for that post tirralirra. 😃

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

LOL... yes, I often reach for the 'like' button... too much Facebooking, I guess.

I usually refrain from adding a comment cos I don't want to be all over the place like a rash! Though it is nice to begin to recognise some regulars - (Hi dms246!)

Posted

• craigpacker by craigpacker scientist

Hey -- we will be analyzing the data in the next few months and all your contributions will add up to something amazing. Once we have millions of photos identified and sorted, we will be able to do some real science! Check out our blogs in the coming days and weeks!

Posted

• Marinecreature by Marinecreature

Like!

Posted