Snapshot Serengeti Talk

I've learnt so much.... a thank you letter

• maxnorton by maxnorton

The brief pause in classification has given me time to reflect on my experience with Snapshot Serengeti.

In the the past I have watched documentaries and read about the Serengeti. But I’m not sure that it really sunk in.

I learn best by doing things. By being involved, by observing and doing, by being taking part in discussion, by contributing in my own small way to scientific study, I feel I have come to a much better understanding of this amazing place and the creatures that inhabit it.

• I have come to appreciate more than ever before the close
      relationship between zebra and wilderbeest.

• I have learnt that the hippopotamus likes to travel at night: though
      why she travels and where she is going is still a mystery to me.

• I have become aware of the difference between the relaxed confidence
      of lions and the alert protectiveness of maternal cheetahs.

• I noticed how hartebeest keep careful lookout, always on the watch
      for danger.

• I have jumped to conclusions, been corrected in the forums and learnt
      to look more carefully and not to see just what I hoped to see.

• And so much more...

And as I have learnt; I have learnt how much more there is to know. I want to know more... and I know that by being involved I will, while helping others to do so too. And, although a complete ametuer, I feel like this is something that I share with Ali and the other scientists.

I’ve really appreciated using my down time to both learn and at the same time contribute to better understanding of our amazing planet.

So thank you to everyone. Scientists and citizen scientist alike.

Bring on season four... and five, and hopefully, many more.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Beautifully said, maxnorton. I second every word.

Posted

• craigpacker by craigpacker scientist

Thanks for expressing your thoughts so well. We are absolutely delighted with the response this program has had and hope we can keep providing enough new material to keep all of you wonderful volunteers engaged and excited about the Serengeti -- and I also hope that you are able to visit the place in person some day!

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

Yes, I love that we're not only learning about the animals, the place, the science, the scientists, and all - we're also exploring the intricacies of this interface - deepening, extending.

As many of us seem to be active self-learners, I have the feeling that this forum will be a place for side-projects to simmer in between the batches of new pics.

Posted