Snapshot Serengeti Talk

5000 Club

• okopho by okopho

I went past 5000 classifications today - but I still haven't classified all the listed animals 😦

Missing: Genet, Honey-Badger, Rodent, Striped Hyena, Wildcat, Zorilla.

I've come across tagged images of almost all my missing ones - the only exception being the Striped Hyena.

So I wonder if there's anyone out there who has achieved a full set of clear classifications (i.e. no blurry nigh-time shots that could be anything!), and how many classifications they had to do to get it.

Posted

• DanishDyna by DanishDyna

Where do you see how many images you have classified?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

If you go to https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/current it'll show you how many classifications you've done for any Zooniverse projects you've been involved with (if you're not already logged in there, you'll have to log in to see your details - use the same user id and password as you use here in Snapshot Serengeti).

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist in response to okopho's comment.

As of the beginning of the year, only 23 people were in the 5000 Club. I guess you're probably #24, okopho! I've got the Season 1-3 data now and will blog a bit about it later this week.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to okopho's comment.

I just sneaked through into the 7000 club, okopho (jeez! have I really looked at that many photos since the beginning of this project?!!!), and I'm still missing a few ticks on my "yep, had one of those" card (missing two more than you, in fact):

Civet, Genet, Honey-badger, Hyena (Striped), Porcupine, Rhinoceros, Rodent, Zorilla.

So it's all down to the luck of the draw, really.

Like you, though, I'd be interested to know if anyone out there has had a clear photo of everything on the list. 😃

Posted

• dragonfly_laura by dragonfly_laura

Hiya,
    Thank you for showing us how many photos we have classified. WOW 5321 for me so far!

Rhinoceros, Honey-badger and Zorilla are the only three I've yet to spot. 😄

Posted

• okopho by okopho in response to kosmala's comment.

@kosmala. Thanks for the info, and I look forward to your blog.

Posted

• okopho by okopho in response to dms246's comment.

@dms246. 7000?! I'm seriously impressed 😃

Quite surprised that you're not closer to the full set, though - it does indeed look like someone would have to be very lucky to get them all.

Maybe another 5000 will do it...

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to dragonfly_laura's comment.

@dragonfly_laura : no problem. 😃 And lucky you - just two more species for a full set! 😃

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to okopho's comment.

@okopho : Heh... another good reason to hope that the project's funding is continued beyond October - we need more time to get that full set of sightings! lol!

Posted

• dragonfly_laura by dragonfly_laura

@dms246 I definitely agree with that!

Posted

• artistjillian by artistjillian

Thank you so much for this info. I was wondering. 4929 for me, so I should reach 5,000 today! lol

Posted

• artistjillian by artistjillian

5559 classifications done, and 5 more to go to get 5000 on Serengeti.

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

Oh, dear! I seem to be over 10,000 for Serengeti. Do I need a life?

Posted

But think of how much you've learned about how to identify antelope from just a glimpse of their bum! Where else could you learn such a vital skill?! 😄

And serious congrats on reaching the lofty heights of the 10K club!

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan in response to dms246's comment.

True 😃
    I'll be a real hit if I ever get to Tanzania, identifying large ungulates by looking at their, errrr... undercarriage 😉
    Many thanks to all involved for this engrossing project; as you can tell, I'm really enjoying it!

Posted

• Froglet1982 by Froglet1982

5052 on zooniverse, 4645 here (I had no idea it was so many!) well done to everyone with 5k + - that's fantastic 😃
    Like everyone else I'm missing a few species: Caracal, Civet, Genet, Mongoose and Zorilla

Posted

• chipo by chipo

I just passed the 7000 border, please let me make it till 10k!?

Posted

• jcbrstege by jcbrstege

Just passed 15000. Still missing Honeybadger and Zorilla.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to jcbrstege's comment.

Wow... congrats! That's some serious classifying going on there. 😄

Posted

• DanishDyna by DanishDyna

Impressive numbers above! I've managed 3800 so far. And I'm still missing a lot:

Bat eared fox
    Civet
    Genet
    Honey badger
    Hyena (striped)
    Mongoose
    Ostrich
    Reptiles
    Rhino
    Rodents
    Zorilla

Is there any way to find collections which have pictures of these animals? Does anyone have a Rhino collection, for example?

Posted

The only way to see collections others have created is if they post a link to the collection, DanishDyna. There's a thread for people to post links to their collections at http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000001/discussions/DSG00009uu though unfortunately only a few have so far.

The only other way of tracking down images of a particular animal is to create a tag group collection to pull together all images that have been given a particular tag, such as "rhino" or "rhinoceros".

Posted

• horkusone by horkusone

I am just past 4600 and am only missing a two. Namely, rodents and zorilla. I finally got the elusive rhino last night. I feel so lucky!

Posted

• okopho by okopho

Well, after starting this thread at 5000, I've now done another 5000 (currently 10003). Sadly, I wasn't lucky enough to classify a single new animal 😦

So I'm still missing: Genet, Honey-Badger, Rodent, Striped Hyena, Wildcat, Zorilla.

Oh well, maybe another 10000 will be enough to get them all...

Posted

• Mistshadow by Mistshadow

I'm at 2462 and I'm missing these:

Aardwolf, Bushbuck, Genet, Vervet Monkey, Honey Badger, Striped Hyena, and Zorilla.

Posted

• rprblk by rprblk

Phew! Just passed the 5000 mark. Quite a lot but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Still missing: Genet, Honey-badger, Mongoose, Rhinoceros, Rodent, Striped Hyena and Zorilla. Must find them...

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

7000mark missing like most, the Zorilla, Striped Hyena, Genet and Rhino

Posted

• DanishDyna by DanishDyna in response to dms246's comment.

Thanks, dms246. After a couple of tries I've managed to make a collection based on the tag #rhino: CSGL00004p

Looking through the 17 pictures in this collection I could only confirm that 5 pictures were in fact rhinos. Given that well over 500,000 pictures have been classified and only 5 of these were tagged as and definitely were rhinos, I feel better about not having seen one yet. They must be very rare.

Oh, and I just passed the 4500 mark. 😃

Posted

• sk001 by sk001

11000 down, and still missing zorilla, civet and wildebeest.

Just kidding about the latter 😃

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to DanishDyna's comment.

In fact, I think we've classified over 3 million images - that's how many there were in seasons 1-3. Then we can add however many have been classified so far for season 4. So very rare indeed.

And congrats on passing 4500 - not long until you join the 5000 club! 😄

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to sk001's comment.

lol! I did do a momentary double take there! 😄

Posted

• Ingootje by Ingootje

Just entered the 5000-club, but still missing Caracal, Honey-badger, Zorilla, Rhinoceros

Posted

• PHald by PHald

I have no life, it seems!.
    8193 classifications. Scary.

Posted

• Veegee by Veegee

I have not seen a Rhino or a Caracel yet, I think there is just one/two more, and I have over 10,000 views so far. Some, like the striped hyena and zorilla I have only seen once.

Posted

• ajg by ajg in response to dms246's comment.

thanks for sharing how to find that! I'm proud to report I'm at 5195 w00t!

Posted

• watchintheplains by watchintheplains

I'm at 5473 and don't think I've classified a civet, genet, waterbuck, striped hyena, rhino or zorilla. At least, if I did it was before I figured out how to capture the images or before I had a sign-in name. Maybe next season...

Posted

• robindw by robindw

I was extremely disappointed to find the project was over this evening! I was sick last week and spent LOADS of time classifying! I'm going to have MASSIVE withdrawal symptoms!!! I hit 5,571 last night before bed. 😃

Posted

Yes, once again we go into "withdrawal symptom" phase in this project. 😕

Still - now that Ali is out there, she'll be sending the Season 5 data back to the university soon, then they and the Zooniverse guys can get to work processing the images ready to put them up on the site for us to start classifying. I think @kosmala said they're hoping to have Season 5 data available for us some time in February, so not TOO long to wait. 😃

Posted

• chipo by chipo

But what will we do after season 5?!

Posted

Look forward to season 6 I guess! 😄

Posted