Snapshot Serengeti Talk

7-year-old Doing ID's

• LanceSnider by LanceSnider

I have a nephew who loves animals and I was curious how he'd do here. After the tutorial and a couple additional tips, he was as good as I was. At 7, the kid gets to do real science. That's pretty badass.

Posted

• sandwood by sandwood

That's really cool! 😄

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

Start 'em young, great job. Welcome and keep up the good work young man! 😃

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Way to go!

Posted

• DeborahV by DeborahV

My 8 year old granddaughter is a whiz at this! I got all excited the other day about a face that appeared in one of the pics and yelled "look girls (the 6 year old isn't as competent)--a lion face" - the 8 year old takes one look from across the room and goes "No Nana. That's a cheetah. Look at the line from its eye to its nose." I was like "never mind." Even the four year old gets into it. He can ID any zebra, elephant or giraffe part!

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

Great to hear about the grandkids joining in, DeborahV. Sounds like you got some great helpers, I wish I had, had such a project like this to do, when I was younger, but we didnt get computers in schools, until I was about 11yrs old! and then it was only my last years, when we got to use them in odd lessons for word processing and a little bit of basic 'dos' programming in mid 1980s and of course no internet!! I think projects like these on zooinverse, can be a great way to help introduce children to space, sciences, history and nature and get them involved with being part of something bigger....

Posted