Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Evidence of but not present?

• leece by leece

So say I see a shadow of an elephant, but no elephant, or a date chalked up next to a 4wd but no human - would I mark them as nothing here?

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

In the case of the date slate it is useful for that to be tagged as #human, because it makes it easier for researchers to find that picture and thus verify date and time if necessary. I know from personal experience that sometimes when I change batteries the date and time revert to some default value, and then the dates and times of all the subsequent photos are off - that is when those "calibration" photos can be really useful. Likewise the presence of a car is a certain indicator that a human is near the camera.

Shadows are less "hard" evidence - some people may notice them and be able to ID them, but others won't. But if you want to draw attention to a shadow, don't ID it as an animal, but tag it as #shadow and add what species you think it is.

Posted

• leece by leece

Okay, that's clever to tag the slate. Would tagging it as #slate be helpful in that case?

Thanks for your answers!

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

You could, but no-one has done this consistently for the last few years so it probably doesn't matter.

Posted

• leece by leece

Oh well, it might save someone a little bit of time if I do.

Posted