Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Close Encounter

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

The only way you can get as close to wildlife as SnapshotSerengeti can, is like this - hope the link works!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=494424817323482
    The video shows some curious young cheetahs in Kanya's Maasai Mara - the north end of the Serengeti ecosystem.
    I won't say that cheetahs never attack people, as one of you would immediately prove me wrong, but it is very unusual. We are definitely not on their menu!
    See also https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidbygott/4026309594

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Whoa! I bet the driver's going to remember that tour for a LONG time! That's funny though, he's just like a (really!) big kitten, checking out the new thing in his 'hood and seeing what's inside.

Do the animals get somewhat used to seeing the tour vehicles making their regular rounds? I know people have found the occasional shot here of an elephant or giraffe standing calmly while a vehicle drives by in the background.

Thanks for sharing both the video and the picture. I really should spend some time browsing through your photo collection. You get to see so many more details on the animals in your shots than what comes through in the trap pics. 😃

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Most animals get totally used to cars, perhaps more so in Mara which has more traffic than Serengeti, but even Serengeti is getting fairly crowded. You don't see this on SSS because the cameras are not close to tourist roads, and cars (except researchers) are restricted to roads. If there's a leopard in a tree, chances are that 50-70 cars will be jostling for a view, and if that leopard wants to move, she'll come down and walk between the gridlocked cars, even under them. If you sit with a lion pride for a long while, they'll lie in your car's shade. Cheetahs stand on cars as viewing points, to see better over the grass. Most of the hoofed animals, however, prefer to keep at least 10 yards from you. That way, they are less likely to be nailed by the lion who's using your car as cover.

SSS offers you a much more pristine illusion of Wild Africa than many tourists see!

Posted

• Wea by Wea

Never been in Kenia, but did quite Some travelling in other african countries. These pics sure bring back memories... Best way is to go to less popular wild life parks, rent your own car and just take your time....

And if you go on guided tour, make sure your guide is not too proud to were the glasses he Needs.....

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

Great film and photo David, thanks for sharing. As pointed out already something the driver or the others will ever forget, thankfullyno-one was hurt and what a great experiance, not many get that close to wild Cheetah.

Posted