Snapshot Serengeti Talk

From Serengeti

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Hi all, I've been out of this game for some weeks and enjoying the real game, in Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro and Serengeti, as a tour leader with National Geographic Expeditions. It's dry season and there have been widespread controlled burns in the study area. New grass growth in the burns has attracted herds of tommies and other grazers. The migratory herds are in the north of Serengeti, and we went up there to see them, massed around the Mara River. There's more water and green grass up there, and we even had some rain.

Here are a few vignettes from the first tour. You'll recognize most of the characters, but others don't appear on the SSS cameras:

enter image description here

enter image description here

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to davidbygott's comment.

Hi David! Really wonderful to hear about your safari-time and the fresh news from Tanzania!
    Gorgeous photos, thank you for sharing these with all of us! πŸ˜ƒ

Lovely also to see e.g. Nile Crocodile and Klipspringer (photo next to Nile Crocodile), which is a small, very agile antelope inhabiting rocky terrain including small hills, rock kopjes, mountain slopes and escarpments. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator

I thought, it would be nice to add the names of these lovely animal species.
    Starting from up, from left to right πŸ˜ƒ

1 . Western White-bearded Wildebeest, Maasai Giraffe, Grey-backed Fiscal (one of shrikes), Lion

2 . Elephant with tiny young and 3rd one behind, Dik-dik, Cheetah, Superb Starling group (white eye, white line separates blue breast from orange underparts, white undertail)

3 . Thomson's Gazelle, Olive Baboon with young on back, male Mwanza Flat-headed Agama, Topi with wildebeest and zebra in background

4 . Hippo, Leopard, Buffalos with Yellow-billed Oxpeckers on back, Warthog

5 . RΓΌppell's Griffon Vulture (pale bill and eye), Nile Crocodile, Klipspringer, Secretarybird

6 . Vervet Monkeys, Southern Ground Hornbill (in flight shows these white outer flight feathers), Black-backed Jackal pair, Reedbuck

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator in response to maricksu's comment.

Maricksu, you get 101%! The extra 1% is for the 3rd elephant, which I didn't even notice πŸ˜ƒ
    More photos in Flickr albums here and here.
    I start my 3rd tour tomorrow.

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to davidbygott's comment.

Thank you David for your lovely comment and these links to your beautiful and interesting photos! πŸ˜ƒ

We will enjoy these photos and this wonderful chance of being part of your safari-time. Magnificent photos e.g. of the rare Rhinos! We wish you the best time also on your 3rd tour! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted