Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Giraffes: Africa's Gentle Giants - BBC Natural World today 16th Oct

• Babyballerina by Babyballerina

Hello, for anyone in the UK, there was a wonderful programme about African animals on BBC tonight. Title as above. Narrated by David Attenborough. The programme is mostly set in Uganda and centres on a story about capturing at risk giraffes and moving them to start a new population south of the Nile. Not about the Serengetti but I saw so many of the animals. As well as giraffes, I saw buffalo, impala, elephant, hippo, lion, warthog, and a few of the 'bird other group such as stork, bee eater and ox pecker. I am sure others will be able to spot more than me. It's a beautiful programme. If you didn't see it, I highly recommend having a look on iplayer.

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to Babyballerina's comment.

Big thanks Babyballerina for that programme-tip! I found it in YouTube also here in Finland and watched it last night. Very good and interesting documentary. I add here this link https://giraffeconservation.org/ where is also more info about that 'Operation Twiga' (Twiga means Giraffe in Swahili) seen in that documentary and e.g. about Julian Hennessy 😃

Posted

It was fascinating to learn that there are at least four different giraffe species. I wonder if the Serengetti giraffes are all the same species or not?

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to Babyballerina's comment.

Yes, all giraffes in Serengeti are Masai Giraffe (Giraffa tippelskirchi).

Yes, it is fascinating that recent genetic analysis shows evidence of 4 giraffe species instead of one. It is though a long, ongoing process to get that accepted and updated in all levels, e.g. in IUCN and e.g. to be updated in books 😃

Posted

Cool. Thank you for the info. Glad you enjoyed the programme.

Posted