Snapshot Serengeti Talk

The story behind my avatar

• maricksu by maricksu moderator

I finally also added an image as to my avatar. I thought it would be nice to tell the story behind it.

While in November 2015 on Safari in Tanzania, visited also Tarangire National Park. It is a wonderful Park, though quite different like habitat from Serengeti . Majestetic baobab trees, high termite mounds, includes also a swamp area with e.g. lots of birds, beautiful heart of life is Tarangire-river. The Park is a dry season refuge for many animals from surrounding areas, even far, also e.g. big elephant herds can be seen there. I think the Park has many secrets and treasures hidden in it’s nature and every time on those, though just a few, times have had the chance to visit there, have seen something special and unexpected.

Well, on that time, while driving we saw by the road side a big termite mound with many holes and Dwarf mongoose pack on their activities at their home. On one side of that mound were two heads sticking out. Soon we noticed, the other one definitely does not look like a mongoose. We drove a litte further and yes, the other one was a lizard. I have thought, that is one species of Plated lizard, scales look quite tough, about Dwarf mongoose size reptile. Though not having much knowledge about lizard species, so open to corrections. They looked so very cosy together, no conflict, almost like old buddies. Together they looked first around and finally came out. The lizard followed the mongoose, like a loyal friend. Absolutely one of highlights of that safari to see moment like that and so close. πŸ˜ƒ

I add here below link to some images, I took of them
    (20 images should be seen, let me know if the link does not work)

Dwarf mongoose and lizard

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator in response to maricksu's comment.

Nice story and interesting observation! I hadn't heard of such a relationship before, but I searched for 'plated lizard mongoose' and found several references, e.g. here:
    http://www.sabisabi.com/wildfacts/dwarf-mongoose/
    The lizards eat the mongooses' dung and keep the den clean!

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to davidbygott's comment.

Big thanks David for that information!! Dwarf mongooses are so fascinating animals, they have all so well organized, and very interesting relationships with other species. Absolutely wonderful to know now, that they have Plated lizards as den housekeepers and both species benefit from their relationship πŸ˜ƒ

Posted