Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Tutorial problem

• Jwb52z by Jwb52z

I couldn't finish the tutorial because it wouldn't do anything after clicking continue to identify the zebras in the distance. It said it was going to show a different way to identify them from the wildebeast, but nothing would happen.

Posted

• zutje by zutje

For the tutorial, I could not select the: looks like wildebeast, at all, no way to proceed I'm afraid.

running Debian testing (reasonably up to date) with Iceweasel 10.0.11, Shockwave flash 11.2 r202 (I don' t know if it uses this, but I include it)

This is probably not the wanted behaviour of the website. Other zooniverse projects ran well, albeit a bit slow sometimes, with this configuration, and i'ts a pitty this happened, would have liked to see animals

Posted

• arfon by arfon

Hi zutje, I'm afraid I don't think we're supporting that configuration. Recent builds of Firefox should work well with the site.

Cheers
    Arfon

Posted

• stonealbatross by stonealbatross

I can only get so far with the tutorial before it stopped working. I can identify one species, but if there is more than one type of animal in an image I can't work out how to record the second one.

I have had no problem with any of the other Zooniverse projects it seems specific to this tutorial.

Posted

• stonealbatross by stonealbatross

I can only get so far with the tutorial before it stopped working. I can identify one species, but if there is more than one type of animal in an image I can't work out how to record the second one.

I have had no problem with any of the other Zooniverse projects it seems specific to this tutorial.

Posted

• macneo by macneo

Add the first one, click Identify. It should bring you back to the general selection, add the second one, click Identify. You should now see both animals in the top-left corner of the picture. Click finish.

Posted

• rlb66 by rlb66

Using Vista/IE9, the tutorial is locking up for myself and others. My is at select Zebra.
    I would like to finish tutorial. It will let me go to classifying.

Posted

• rlb66 by rlb66

I changed to Google Chrome from Google and tutorial problem went away.

Posted

• black_cat by black_cat

I can't classify as getting no response to clicking finish. I'm using chrome. I've tried a number of things including individually disabling any extension that may interfere, including 'do not track'; clearing cache; reloading chrome; using tab to go from field to field; changing batteries on the mouse! No go ...
    Also noticed a problem with the home; discuss etc toolbar sitting at the bottom of the window but inaccessible as only part;y showing. Again tried a number of options including zoom in & out. I've improved it slightly.
    Any suggestions please?
    Ta.

Posted

• claudiact by claudiact

I'm having the same problem as black cat (Finish button doesn't do anything) in both Chrome and Firefox! I've done the tutorial about 4 times now...help!!

Posted

• Xaromir by Xaromir

I can't get past the tutorial either. I jumped through the hoop by identifying the two Zebras as grazing and standing, but when i hit finish nothing happens, and the tutorial keeps coming back at me. I never experienced any issues like this on any of the Zoonieverse sites. I'm using Palemoon, which is basically just Firefox. IE didn't work either.

Posted

• snoopy11 by snoopy11

same problem as the others ....stops at zebra. running windows xp service pack 3 with IE 9

is there a fix for this ?

Posted

• snoopy11 by snoopy11

just downloaded latest version of Firefox, and now I can get to the end of the tutorial,.......... but it stops there...the finish button does nothing.

Posted

• cbrinkworth by cbrinkworth

Yea, I'm having the same problems as everyone else with hitting the "finish" button and not getting anywhere. I've tried Firefox, Chrome and Safari, and none are working.

Posted

• thehatlady by thehatlady

Your tutorial instructs me to use antelope/deer but that's not even on the list! Where to go from there?

Posted

• mowgli by mowgli

This project looks really good, but I have the same problem as everyone above. Does anybody check these comments?
    HELP!! Don't lose us!!

Posted

• F.KellyUMN by F.KellyUMN moderator

Do you have the latest version of firefox? Sometimes updating the Browser will help and allow you to get past the tutorial.

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

Hi everyone -- sorry the tutorial seems to be causing trouble! We're not really sure why it's acting up, but are talking to the Zooniverse development team and will get an answer for you as quickly as possible.

For thehatlady -- the antelope/deer option should be under "looks like" button, which is above the pattern/color/horns/etc buttons. However I just tried it from Firefox, and the "Looks Like" menu won't drop down! It does work from both Chrome and Safari. Again, we'll follow up with the development team ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

Posted

• larsonwe by larsonwe

I've got the same problem. I've tried both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I go through the tutorial and can't get past it. The finish button does nothing.

Posted

• doughall by doughall

After I classify one picture, it does not give me another picture to classify. The only way to do that seems to be to go to "Discuss" and then "Return to classifying." Am I wrong? How do you get the next photo displayed as soon as you finish one?

Posted

After you click "finish" are you also clicking "next capture"?

Posted

• azhdrake by azhdrake

I don't see a "next capture" button.
    Here is what my screen looks like: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/85778837/Screenshot.png
    This is before and after a press the finish button.

Posted

• ericagol by ericagol

I'm having the same problem; I've tried hitting Finish in Safari, Firefox & Chrome, and it is not responding in all three browsers. Is the website down?

Posted

• starring by starring

having the exact same issue as azhdrake

Posted

• joellw by joellw

I'm glad it's not just me with the finish problem. I hope they get this fixed because this is really cool!

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

I managed to classify one, according to my profile, extra to the tutorial one, which did work in Firefox to start with, then I was given a photo with nothing creature wise just landscape, so clicked 'nothing here' and now finding the Finish button doesn't respond and all refresh did was just bring up a new photo and no response with the finish button again, on my profile it hadn't logged the 'nothing here one'.

Also I noticed on one, when I refreshed the page, when you run the photo sequence, a small creature, it is hard to tell what it was, and blending into the grass, so could be missed, so over looked, we could do with a way of drawing a circle/box about such creatures and taging them as too camoflaged, or the creature type and where it is, it took me 3 times of running the sequence to spot it moving slightly. these types could be flagged up for futher investigation, if the creature was not known by the classifier, as someone else with more experiance of a behaviour of a creature, could say, oh thats mongoose. also its a shame too you can't have a magnifier tool, you can run over the photo, so to zoom in little on an area/creature to make the photo bigger size , maybe by 2 or 3x, unless the reason why is it will just pixel the image up and not leave a clearer slightly magnified image.

hope the problem with the finish button can be fixed soon, if not I think setilive has more live waterfalls to classify shortly, so go do some of them and i'll come back to this one later.

Posted

Hmmm, sorry it's misbehaving so badly. I know that the development team has been run a bit ragged getting Snapshot and the new Talk interface launched, but I'll get their thoughts as soon as possible.

Posted

• escholzia by escholzia

Cool project - what time zone are the fixers on, so we can all check back when it's operational? Let us know - save a lot of frustration for would-be classifiers.

Posted

• leisanearthlink.net by leisanearthlink.net

I also am having the problem with not being able to click "Finish" after the tutorial ends. I can't classify until then, because it won't let me!

Posted

• snostorm by snostorm

Any way to bypass the tutorial for now? Seeing as I've completed it like 3 times?

Posted

• rolling by rolling

I'm using a Mac with Safari. The Wildebeast if the image, and once I identified and clicked finish I was at a dead end. I found no other pictures. I wasn't able to find a way to move to another classification.

Posted

• mariolh by mariolh

I'm having the problem with the tutorial also using Google Chrome Version 23.0.1271.95 m on Windows 7. It works if I am not logged in, but if I am logged in does not allow me to "Finish" doesn't proceed to the next image.

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

mariolh is right, logged out you get the social net work links and the option to goto next image, after pressing finish, on logging in, not work. hope this helps narrow the problem down, oh well, I got many hours of setilive waterfalls done over the last hours since telescopes live, just come back to try this again, but looks like I'll have to come back again later 😦
    hope you fix it soon

Posted

• Sliert by Sliert

superfluous, but I also can't get passed the finish button. Luckily, because I should be working:)

Posted

• kasabugu by kasabugu

Only works with the "rubbish" IE browser

Posted

• kasabugu by kasabugu

Cant get it to work using Firefox or IE gets stuck on tutorial and when Finish is selected nothing hapens, same as other punters.

Posted

• Sliert by Sliert

apparently i could go on when i wasn't signed in!

Posted

• jaksen by jaksen

Hi, I cannot get 'off' the tutorial page.

Still want to help with this, thanks.

Posted

• jolli by jolli

Still can't finish the tutorial - can't go further on other ways to identify animals already known and as comment above in general classifying the FINISH button does nothing. Clicking other pages sometimes brings them up and sometimes doesn't. Website overloaded??

Posted

• johnaustin by johnaustin

completely stuck and giving up - there ais only some much time for this. shame - it looked interesting

Posted

• doughall by doughall

I have tried both Firefox and Chrome. Same problem in both. After clicking "Finish" there is no button that says "Next {Picture" or anything. Everything is just dead at that point. By clicking on "Discuss" and coming here and then clicking on "return to classifying" I can get another picture, but that is just a dumb workaround.

Posted

• testimo by testimo

Same here.

Posted

Hey guys -- sorry you're having so much trouble getting the tutorial to work! We're trying to fix the issue and hopefully it will be working for everyone soon.

Posted

• amyemilia by amyemilia

I can't get beyond the tutorial... using IE 8. Would really really like to work on this project but I'm stuck. It also failed on me when I tried last night with my Kindle Fire 8.9 HD.

Posted

• PhilM80 by PhilM80

I went through the tutorial and was able to classify around a dozen pictures but then I logged in and can't get past the tutorial like the others. Maybe it has something to do with being logged in...

Posted

• sydneypm by sydneypm

same!

Posted

• jonesl13 by jonesl13

Couldn't get beyond/out of the tutorial ... hung up at the 'continue' point where the tutorial was addressing the presence of two zebras in the background. From that point on the page seemed to be locked-up.

Posted

• clariki by clariki

Please when the problems are fixed send a email to all so those of us with problems can try again. I tried this mrnin before checking here for answers. thanks

Posted

• Homerj918 by Homerj918

It works fine unless I log in. Once I log in it will not advance after hitting finish. I can classify all day long until I log in. Don't know if this info helps or not.

Posted

• brian-c by brian-c admin

We're looking into tutorial issues now--we're having a bit of trouble reproducing it. Sorry for the trouble! It should be fixed shortly.

Posted

• merv16j by merv16j

Can't get the tutorial to work. My computer runs Ubuntu Linux with Mozilla Firefox as browser.

Posted

• arfon by arfon

Hi all, we've recently fixed a bug with the tutorial so hopefully this will have made things work a lot better for many people. If you've been having trouble then please try again and report back if you're still having trouble.

Cheers
    Arfon

Posted

• theEnglishmare by theEnglishmare

how do i add to 'my collection'?

Posted

• theEnglishmare by theEnglishmare

also, i saw part of the Serengeti on fire in a capture. not good

Posted

• Janet_Jaguar by Janet_Jaguar

If you are using IE9, activate the Compatibility feature. Major problems with that browser without it.

Posted

• merv16j by merv16j

Still having trouble with tutorial. It gets as far as 'select antelope/deer' from the looks like bit. There's no antelope/deer showing and I can't get any further! HELP!

Posted

@merv16j -- can you see the text to the right of the tutorial box that says "looks like"? There's a drop-down icon, if you click on that, it should give you things like cat/dog, antelope/deer, etc. We'll try to make sure that's clearer. THanks!

Posted

• petak by petak

I have completed the Tutorial, no prbs. whatsoever, but cannot Log on, just go NoWhere...running Chrome browser, understand that is the one...

PK Aust.

Posted

• petak by petak

I can complete the Tutorial, but cannot log on, no icon etc comes up on screen, time is a prb:. so will come back later. Hope you can fix soon, otherwise people will just "forget" to come back. Have posted this elsewhere.

PK Aust.

Posted

• merv16j by merv16j

I've clicked on the drop down icon. Nothing Happens"

Posted

Hm, we'll try and see if this is a bug we can fix.

Posted

• oligoglot by oligoglot

I was shown an image of what I clearly thought was a wildebeest, but the tutorial seemed to suggest hartebeest. Could I be mistaken?

Posted

The tutorial identifies 1 wildebeest moving in the foreground of the image.

Posted