Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Posting image series

• Wolbo by Wolbo

How do I post, or link to, a series of 3 shots on these discussion boards (as opposed to a static screenshot of one image)?

Posted

• Wolbo by Wolbo

Any help on this?

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Sorry for the delay. Yes, after you've classified a picture (or set of 3) and pressed "Finish", a set of buttons appears under the picture. One of those is "Discuss." If you click that, you'll come to Talk and be allowed to comment on the picture and to start a discussion based on that picture.

Posted

• Wolbo by Wolbo

Thx for the explanation.

Downside of the method you mention is that it only becomes available after the image has already been classified. So it is not useful to get help with classifying an animal. What I did so far is right click on the image, select 'Copy image URL' and paste it on the discussion board. In the meantime, while waiting for help with the identification, I would open a new window and continue classifying other images. That works pretty well but you can't post the 'animated' series this way. This could easily be solved by making the 'Discuss' button available directly, i.e before finalizing the image classification.

Posted

• arfon by arfon

Hi @Wolbo. While I appreciate that this is a little frustrating it's actually really important for us that you don't discuss how to classify something with other members of the community before making your assessment.

The reason for this is that all of our Zooniverse citizen science projects are fairly controlled experiments - it's important for the science team to know when they're trying to generate a 'consensus' result from the global community effort that everyone had the same experience when classifying an image. If for example five people see the same image and three of those five talked about how to classify it then we can't treat the classifications from those three people in the same way as we can the other two.

Again, I realise this must sound a little restrictive but setting the project up in this way allows us to produce much better science results in the end.

Posted

• Wolbo by Wolbo

Fair enough, I hadn't considered that specific argument but it makes sense from a scientific perspective. From now on I will not post any image for discussion and use the outcome of the discussion to classify that image. Only did that for a few anyway (<1%). Mind you it's probably impossible to guarantee a completely identical experience for everyone as some will get more experienced by actively participating in discussions while others participate less or not at all and will therefore have a different learning curve.

Posted