Snapshot Serengeti Talk

No image

• Spaceman98 by Spaceman98

When I click classify, I no longer get an image. Are we temporarely out, or is this some other glitch?

Posted

• chipo by chipo

Maybe we have finished all the pics. 😦 Serious withdrawal symptoms here.

Posted

• Promethias by Promethias

I've been having the same problem.

Posted

There was a mention of a fourth season http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000002/discussions/DSG00008zo, so no, we are not done, we just have to wait....

Posted

• Tockolock by Tockolock

No Image help

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Ohhh I thought it was just me having problems getting images all of a sudden. I wonder what's happening?

Posted

• SafariLiz by SafariLiz

I noticed last night that the bar was almost touching the end of Season 2, so I'm guessing it's finished.

Posted

• rockhyrax by rockhyrax

I don't understand - if we have images going back to 2011 there's no way it's run out yet - saturation would mean all of us having seen most of the images, which is impossible given the collections. I think there's something wrong with the image server for "real" images (i.e. not the tutorial gnu).

Posted

• whooshdemon by whooshdemon

I also have no images, and all bars full. And never figured out how to add a hashtag

Posted

• biminibob by biminibob

Oh no!

Maybe even if the photo's are finished, the scientists could still let more people review them? I really enjoy it.

Posted

• JunkMonkey by JunkMonkey

Ah glad it's not just me! Was a little baffled by the lack of pictures!

Posted

@rockhyrax : each image is initially shown to five people. If those classifications largely agree with each other, the image is done, and withdrawn from the pool. If there's a lot of variation in those first five results, the image is then shown to some more people - I don't know the details of how the algorithm determines when to stop sending the image out, but ultimately a limit is reached, and the image is withdrawn. So there's no intention that everyone gets to see all or even most of the images. And the progress bars on the project home page are showing all three seasons complete or within a whisker of being complete.

I noticed late last night that the classification screen was starting to falter, in terms of serving up images. Sometimes a couple of refreshes would result in a new image, sometimes I had to wait 5-10 mins for another image to appear. Now, it seems that it simply isn't serving up any images at all.

To be fair, all of the above proves nothing one way or another - it could be that all of the images are now done, or equally it's possible that there's a fault with the image server. I guess we'll just have to wait for an Admin person or one of the scientists to come in and confirm one way or the other. But it's certainly possible that we've finished all of the images for seasons 1-3.

Posted

• Annepet by Annepet

Boo 😦

Oh well, here's hoping for Season 4.

Posted

• arfon by arfon

H i there. It looks like we've run out of images. We've got the season 4 images onto a server in Minnesota and hope to have these processed in the next 24 hours or so.

Apologies for any withdrawal symptoms caused! We've been absolutely blown away by the response by you all and have been chasing around as fast as possible to get new images ready.

Cheers
    Arfon

Posted

• rockhyrax by rockhyrax

Thanks @dms246 - I had no idea the pool of people for each image was so small! Clearly I've been spoilt by the vast amounts of data and required views on Planet Hunters... 😉

It'd be fascinating to see the analysis of the data so far btw...

Posted

No problem @rockhyrax. 😃

Many thanks for that info, @arfon. Yes, severe withdrawal symptoms here! Heh. Very much looking forward to season 4 going live. 😃

Posted

• chipo by chipo

I just saw a tweet that in a couple of hours the site will be running again.

Posted

• catxx by catxx

And how quickly do you think it will take to finish season 4? Haha!

Posted

I was hoping to show my sister and nieces this project over Christmas, but given how fast we zoomed through the first 3 seasons, I'm not entirely confident that season 4 will last until Christmas!!!

Posted

• froxx by froxx

I. Want. New. Images. NOW!!! 😉 Can't wait for season 4. It's such a great project.

Posted

Ali posted the following in one of the other threads here, about 35 mins ago:

Hey guys -- Try the interface again! We've reactivated some
    photographs from S1-3 so as to improve the accuracy of our ID's, and
    refine our "data reduction" algorithm that margaret describes here:
    http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/17/three-million/

And indeed, there are more images available now! Yay!

Posted

• froxx by froxx

Yeah! Great!

Posted

Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddd.... We are done again! Congratulations.

Posted

• TomKristensen by TomKristensen

We are donn for now. There will bee more fotos coming up soon.

Posted

• arfon by arfon

Crunching through 545,808 season 4 images on the Minnesota Supercomputer Institute servers too! Hopefully we'll have these ready for you soon...

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Word on Z-street is that it may be another couple days. We've pulled out date-time stamps and are now grouping them into the proper triplets for displaying.

Posted

• hdevos by hdevos

I just had two in a row without any image inside the white frame.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to hdevos's comment.

Do you mean a completely black image? We get those occasionally from cameras that have malfunctioned. Simply mark it "nothing here".

Posted