Snapshot Serengeti Talk

How to display images full size in discussion posts

• maxnorton by maxnorton

This appears to be causing some confusion. Once you know how it’s actually quite easy.

1. Every capture (of 3 or fewer photos) has it’s own page. Here is an example of such a page: ASG00081fr
      You can reach these pages in a number of ways:
    • Once you have classified an image, and pressed the Finish button, click on Discuss
    • Via the Profile button on the bottom of the classification screen you can view your favourites and recents
    • By following links in collections and in discussion posts: ASG00081fr
    1. Once you are on the page for your capture select the image you want using the [1][2][3] buttons.

2. Now right click on that image and select copy image (address/location/url) depending on browser.

3. In your forum post use the insert image button and paste the address into the field provided. It is good accessible web practice to add a description

4. Always add a link back to the capture page so that others can reference it, tag, add to collections etc. Simply use the code for the capture page. e.g. ASG00081fr

Why this works. The image on the capture page looks small but it is actually being scaled down by the browser due to page formatting (css). When the same image link is used in a discussion post it displays at full resolution.

The show preview button is your friend! I used it to tidy up the bullet points in this post.

Posted

• maxnorton by maxnorton

Here is an example:

Thomson's gazelles with hot air balloon in the distance

ASG00081fr

Posted

• maxnorton by maxnorton

How to do the same thing on an iPad.

Follow the steps as above until you get to 3.

• Hold you finger on the chosen image until you get a pop-up and select copy.
    • In the address bar of a new browser tab select paste.
    • Select all of the address in this address bar and then copy it

Now continue with step 4 as above.

Posted

• maxnorton by maxnorton

This probably belongs in Frequently Asked Questions. Any way to move it?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Yay! Thanks for posting that maxnorton. I had been saving the image off on my PC and uploading it to my web space in order to use the URL there to insert it into posts, but it's much better just referencing the image directly using the right click "Copy image location". Much simpler!

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

Awesome! Yes, please somebody add it to FAQ.

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Thanks! You're the man!

Posted

I'm working on a version of this, with images, to help those still struggling. Will try to get it up here before I head off tomorrow to visit family over Christmas.

Posted

Every image set (of 1, 2 or 3 photos) has its own page. Here is an example of such a page: ASG0009nwc.
    You can reach these pages in a number of ways:

• Once you have classified an image, and pressed the Finish button, click on Discuss.
    • Via the Profile button on the bottom of the classification screen you can view your favourites and recents.
    • By following links in collections and in discussion posts: ASG0009nwc.

Once you are on the page for your capture select the image you want using the [1][2][3] buttons:

Select image

Now right click on that image and select "Copy image address/location/url" (the exact term used will depend on which browser you're using):

Copy image URL

Open Notepad or another basic text editor, and paste the image URL you just copied into a blank file (you won't be saving this file - it's just a temporary place to put the image URL and ID):

Paste the image URL

Go back to the image, and highlight and copy the image ID (above the image):

Copy the image ID

Paste that into the text file, under the image URL:

Paste the ID into the text file

Highlight and copy the image URL from the text file.

Now go to the Talk board where you want to post a message containing the image. Type in any text you want to precede the image, press ENTER a couple of times to get a blank line, then click on the Insert Image button:

Click on the Insert Image button

Paste the image URL into the popup box that appears, and click on OK:

Paste the image URL into popup

Enter a few words describing your picture between the square brackets, where it says "enter image description here" (this text will only be displayed if someone is browsing with images switched off, or read out loud if someone is browsing using a screen reader).

Position the cursor at the end of the line containing the image URL, and press RETURN a couple of times to get a blank line.

Go back to the text file, and copy the image ID. Paste it into your message, below the image code:

Paste the image ID

Now, click on the "Show Preview" link below where you're typing. Show Preview is your friend! It will show you exactly how your post will look, without you having to submit the message to find out:

Click on Show Preview to see what your post will look like

Once you're happy with things, click on the SUBMIT button, and hey presto! Your image has been posted.

Posted

• roggeveenb by roggeveenb

Nicely taught!

Posted

• MGHogue by MGHogue

I was happy to find that I could copy the image's location prior to classification - and load in into a browser window with a zoom ratio set up to a higher magnification for "objects" in the background.

On a side note: if you had a "wish list" I would wish for a "zoom" tool and a few basic image enhancement tools (especially for the night photos) in which you could adjust contrast and/or brightness in order to make details stand out. Often I see the eyes of the animals in the night photos - but that's all.

As for uploading - too bad you folks can't have the camera's perform a radio and/or satellite feed instead of having to run around downloading them. But $$$$ (sigh). Ditto the idea of some night-vision cameras - they would certainly improve your night reporting! However, if you could get your hands on a few (or a few night dedicated high ISO range units) - that would be good.

PS: has been fun . . . something for a disabled Marine to do. 😕

Posted

• tfmorris by tfmorris

Also there's "full" size and then FULL size

FULL size

Posted

• Rose_Queen by Rose_Queen

I can't see the capture page number. Do you only see it after you've finished with your classification? If so, is there a way to go back and correct your identification afterwards if the help you get in the discussion changes your mind? If you can't go back and correct it, what's the point of asking for help?

Posted