Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Place of cameras

• chipo by chipo

How do people know where the cameras are? Sometimes in psts there are referrals to: "where this camera is". If I click on the little dot next to the picture dots, I get a google pink arrow always in the same place. It only gives the date and the time? Am I missing something?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I wonder if maybe the references you're noticing are more just to do with people recognising images as being from the same camera location because of fixed elements such as trees, etc? I think I may have said things like "where this camera is we often see hartebeest hanging around", but I don't have a clue where the camera actually is in a geographic sense - it's just that I recognise the location because of the landscape in these images. I'm sure you've found the same thing - once you've looked at enough images, you start to recognise specific trees, rocks, etc. 😃

Posted

• chipo by chipo

O yes! I thought I was missing some information! Thanks for clarifying.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

No problem. I hate it too when I think I'm missing something like that that everyone else seems to be seeing. 😃

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Sigh. Yes, the maps were supposed to be a bit more informative, but there are so many other things for the developers to do... We hope to get a map up at some point showing where all the camera traps are in relation to one another.

Posted