Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Butt Shots

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

I've posted some comparative rear views. They aren't to scale, but might be useful to you. They aren't all Serengeti animals, but those that are, are named in cyan (aqua, blue) type. The picture only shows the herbivores, not the carnivores. Enjoy!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidbygott/9355446889/

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

David, Thanks so much. Exactly what I was referring to. You can so clearly see those tails,and which type of tail it is. I'm used to dog & cat and farm animal tails. Such varieties there are! Although, I have to admit it is a bit humorous to see all those butts lined up!

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

Excellent, thank you!

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Thanks, David! Another really helpful resource from you to add to my collection (in addition to the collections you shared yesterday(?)).

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Yes, the variety is interesting. When you think about it, the often conspicuous marks on the butt are species ID flags, as are the speculum panels on ducks' wings. In a crisis you want to be able to follow a herd of your own species, so you look for the appropriate flag, and go with that group.

Posted

This is why I suggested that in the ID chart we could have the head view, side view, rear view and representation of a baby/youth since that appearance can change so much. I realize there is a lot to do in developing this whole thing. But I do know I was often looking through the pic. examples looking for exactly those views.I believe that is something that would have made my IDs more accurate. Although as a citizen science project I believe that ID chart now is one of the most helpful tools. Some projects I have done or attempted to do were not nearly so useful/helpful.

Posted

Thanks for the information about the animals and their need to ID other animals. I never considered it from the their point of view. Yes they would definitely need to follow the correct group in a crisis and carrying their own "flag" does the job, for sure! Biology was a long, long time ago. I remember something about animal's sight, at that time I think I remember them saying animals only saw in black & white. I just finished an article about it and see that now they say many animals do see color. I saw nothing about these animals, they spoke mostly of farm animals. Do these animals in the Serengeti see in color, or are they following the shades of gray? Thanks for your time.

Posted