Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Noted the numbers are limited for the hash tagged animals?

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

I notice that only 500 images can be collected on the hashtag, but like with the birds hashtag many more have been hash tagged. Are they still getting recorded somewhere?

I also noticed that only so many images can be added to 'favourites', I had to store some elsewhere, then delete from 'favourites', so could carry on adding some of the last seasons favourites to 'favourites', may have to go though them again, so can add new ones from this season.

I suppose, there has to be a limit, because of storage space, but means that this and future seasons hashtagged might not get recorded, if they are not saved somewhere else.

Maybe a solution could be found, even if classifiers for example are asked to add 7 after the hashtag and species, eg #bird7 or #lion7 to denote hashtagged in season 7? Just a thought..

Posted

• sisige by sisige

I think the limitation is likely on the number of items you are allowed to have in a collection. I noticed that with Favorites, too. I would bet that the hashtags are all still there on the images, so they can all be retrieved on the back end. It's just that we can only see so many of them in our collections.

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

I'll ask the Zooniverse developers...

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

I've had a few back-and-forth emails with the developers. They acknowledge that there's a cap on the number of images in each collection and say it keeps the database happy. I suggested some of the things you've mentioned be automated, for example a hashtag collection be split into multiples ("bird","bird1", "bird2", etc.) and their response was basically "we'll keep it in mind." In other words, I think they're too busy to implement these sort of features right now. But I've heard that they're thinking about overhauling Talk at some point, so hopefully these sorts of issues will be addressed eventually.

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator in response to kosmala's comment.

Thanks for finding out, maybe one day, they will.... as this project is really popular and with lots of great and interesting images to collect and comment about, popular hashtags such as birds or bird and Lion bypassed 500 a while back. I suppose they had to start somewhere and maybe didn't think, people would hashtag as much or favourite so many images, maybe people don't have such large collections or hashtag so often in the other projects... but I suppose 'We'll keep it in mind' is better than a straight 'No, sorry'.

Posted