Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Your new up-coming project

• inaspin by inaspin

Hi - looking forward to finishing current season - however, is it possible to make the new project images just like these? I had to give up on Wildwatch Kenya because it was using up vast amounts of my download allowance. I have no idea what the difference was; your 3-image "video" is so much more useful than being able to enlarge a single frame.

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to inaspin's comment.

Hi inaspin,

Thank you for your feedback and all your contribution to SSS!

We have not yet got any info from the scientists about the new season. I guess we have to wait that we have finished the current one.
    We will inform everybody as soon as we hear something.

At least previous seasons have been same way 3-shot captures (except season 9,5 Extended Survey Season, which was a special season connected to a different research in wider area in the Serengeti Ecosystem). So I believe 3-shot captures continue also in the future, at least not heard about any changes in that.

I agree with you completely, that these 3-shot captures are most useful, help a lot to identify and to be more accurate, especially in our project, where often many animals visible. Also personally I think it is so wonderful and interesting to see a bit more about the moment with 3-shot capture. 😃

P.S. Very interesting to hear about that using up of download allowance in that other project, maybe something to do with e.g. image file size, can't know, not much knowledge about that field.

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

Thanks Maricksu, ...image size - yes that's what my husband said. I asked, and they do use HD cameras, maybe that's all it is but it's a nuisance anyhow.

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator in response to maricksu's comment.

I seem to remember that the images we get here for classification are downsized, i.e. smaller than the originals from the cameras, so that the project servers can accommodate many more of them. Looking at samples from both sites, a SSS image is 600 px wide and file size is 40KB while a WWK image is 1024 px wide and >500KB file size, so yes there is a big difference!

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator

I add here the link to the latest Blog post, including information to all of us about the next Snapshot Serengeti season 11 😃

https://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2018/01/05/snapshot-serengeti-upcoming-changes/

Posted

• lucycawte by lucycawte moderator

Hi All,

Snapshot Serengeti will still consist of the three image classification, nothing will be changing with the actual cameras out there doing their stuff. The new Snapshot Safari portal will simply allow you to decide if you want to classify images from the Serengeti or one of the other study sites.Each may have a slightly different approach as they are different projects. You can go on Safari as it where, to different places. Of course the snapshot Serengeti team hope you will stay with us for the most part. Season 11 promises to be a good one.

Posted