Snapshot Serengeti Talk

I think we see a hunt here

• kodamsa by kodamsa

The wildebeast are running, and there appears to be a lion chacing one of the beasts

Posted

• biminibob by biminibob

Definitely looks like a hunt. The lion looks small on it.

Posted

• ajg by ajg

oh that's so cool! you can see the lion on the left moving into the center chasing!

Posted

• Ran-chan by Ran-chan

Cool picture!

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Nice find!

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

I'm going to be very unpopular and suggest this is a wildebeest calf staying very close to its mother as she runs. Scientists with higher-res versions can check it out.

Posted

• kodamsa by kodamsa

I think tht the smaller animal is also lighter in color, golden-brown, rather than the dark brown of the wildebeest. What is the color of young wildebeest?
    Besides, something defenetly make the animals run in zigzags

But you may be on to something.

Posted

Small calves are a light tawny colour, lighter and warmer than adults. And it doesn't take much to make wildebeest run in zigzags!

Posted

• craigpacker by craigpacker scientist

Yes, it's a calf...

Posted

• kodamsa by kodamsa

Looking up some image of young wildebeest on the web I see what you mean.

Still, how can you tell at this distance which one is it? is it something about the way they run? are there high res images? There is also something going on in the very center of the image, involving three animals, one of each is dark brown, the other two might be light brown, but I am not sure.

Regarding running in zigzags. I am not an expert on wildebeest, yet whil working witgh this project I've seen lots of wildebeest. Didn't see them run all that often.

Posted

Craig & I have an unfair advantage - spent some time watching Serengeti lions. Mainly - a lion would be bigger than the calf, lighter and yellower, more elongated. Also, it probably wouldn't follow the gnu's turns so tightly, and if it was that close it would surely be launching itself onto her back!

Posted

• cryptoref by cryptoref

Last year i got to safari in the Masa Mara in Kenya. We were watching a big herd of wildebeest and zebra when one of the young wildebeest jumped up and ran for 20 yards. Well that well and truly started a stampede. Zebra and wildebeest going zig zag everywhere you looked. They ran for about a half mile and then everyone kinda slowed up and said well we can go back to grazing now. Pictures are in this set http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2589226374396.147561.1366694961&type=3

Posted

• skampersmom by skampersmom

If you click on the picture, it opens in a new page, then right click it select view image. Press ctrl and + on your keyboard.
    After reviewing all three photos, I can say it clearly 100% is a female lion hunting. that is in no way shape or form a calf, that my dears is a lion.

Posted