Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Lion v Cheetah on Nat geo and Lion project camera traps.......

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

Just watching Lion v Cheetah on Nat Geo on delay TV and Just seeing the Lion project vehicle with Grad student Ali Swanson in and she was talking about the Camera traps and got to see some images, are any of these images we have been classifying related to those shown on this program?
    When I started to watch the show, I did wonder if the lions were seeing the fighting cheetahs as fighting over/with prey, or they saw the cheetahs as a foreign male lions cubs cause of the noise they make, or maybe see them like they do Hyneas and Leopards as risk to there (lion) own cubs. have to see what the rest of the show comes up with, now going to click off the delay to watch rest of it...

Posted

• craigpacker by craigpacker scientist

We have recently discovered that the three males in that film were not members of the same coalition -- so after the lions killed the female, the two male coalition partners turned on the third male, and he became the victim of the second lion attack.

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

Wow... insider knowledge!

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

Yes! That was me, actually -- and the all the cameras that were discussed on the show were the very ones you're IDing photos from.

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

No wonder they were fighting then, if the 3 males were not related brothers, but 2 brothers and an outsider, surprised the outsider even considered taking on 2 brothers, unless he thought he had a chance, I understand the drive in some species, to pass on there DNA, is so strong, they will fight to the death even if they are or believe they are evenly matched. it was a huge shame the female was killed by the lion too, but suppose thats nature and as horrible as it can be, like cub killing, but then you can understand the male lions reasons, he doesn't want to care for another lions cubs and then wait months for the females to be fertile again and risk losing his place as Alpha of the group before they do and not get any chance to pass his DNA on.

I have enjoyed classifying these pictures, especially the Felines, although my favourite feline of all, is the Snow leopard, who of course isn't a Serengeti resident, but of the Senegeti felines, its the Leopard and Serval who are my joint favourites, I love the huge ears and long legs of the Serval, I also love the ears of the Caracal too. also feel honoured to be able to take part in the classifying, not just of the Serengeti, but the other Zooniverse projects and thanks too, for letting us know, those Camera traps from the Show are the very same ones and fel honoured to help you in your research.

I

Posted