Snapshot Serengeti Talk

gazelle impala fawn birth

• Ettina by Ettina

When do the gazelles and impala typically give birth? Is there a specific time of year? In nature documentaries I often see a whole herd all with fawns the same age, making me think there is a specific time they give birth, but I don't know when.

Posted

• Ohsoalexzy by Ohsoalexzy

I would like to add on to this question. For both species of gazelles, and for impalas, typically at what age do they reach sexual maturity and when will the females start to carry? How long is the gestation period, and how many calfs are birthed?

Posted

• Ohsoalexzy by Ohsoalexzy

P.S- I know I could probably google the answer, but because I am interested in the animals being captured I'd prefer to hear an answer based upon the observations of scientists/volunteers in the Serengeti running the program.

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Hi, I don't want to leave you hanging. I don't know the answers off the top of my head, and I'm on vacation visiting relatives and so don't have my books with me to look up the answers. Ali is in transit to Tanzania. I'll get back to you as soon as I can with some answers, though.

Posted