Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Elephant troupes

• inaspin by inaspin

I've read that elephant troupes are matriarchal, Boss mother, sisters, aunties and daughters, and only include young males. Do the older males also roam about in groups or do they go solo? Anyone know the answer to this?

Posted

• sisige by sisige

I believe bull elephants typically wander around solo, meeting up with the matriarch-led groups for mating (and fighting off rival suitors). I do think, though, that bulls will encounter each other at other times, as I remember hearing about how older bulls in an area help keep the younger, hormone-laden bulls in line. (The show was about resettling elephant populations in a park in South Africa, and showed how younger males will get destructive if they don't have older males around to put them in their place.) But I don't think they hang out together on a regular basis. Hopefully one of the experts will weigh in and give you more/better information. 😃

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

Thanks for that sisige. I'm reading African-set novels by Tony Park at the moment and this project is great for visualising the animals that get a mention.

Posted

• sisige by sisige

What a great tie-in to the project! It's definitely a fun way to take an armchair safari, and we get better close-ups of the animals!

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Hmmm, just came across this capture while classifying. I assume this is two bulls, since I know for darn sure the one on the right is male! ASG000t7rm

I checked a few images on either side and they just basically seem to be standing around this tree for a while, so I'm not sure what they're up to. Figured I'd add it to the discussion, though! 😃

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Yes, bulls leave the matriarchal herd around 12 and wander with other bulls or alone.

Posted

• inaspin by inaspin

Re: ASG000t7rm - reminds me of a really old joke. Not sure if it's suitable for general consumption though!

Posted