Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Is chewing cud "eating"?

• leece by leece

Seems silly to ask but...

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Technically yes. If you can see chewing action, sure. But I think the majority of people will score just the obviously heads-down animals as eating. Very often, the cud chewer is too distant to tell, or its head is out of the picture!

Scientists, comment?

Posted

• hayvel by hayvel

two buffalos chewing here : ASG0013pb7 I didn't mark them "eating"....

Posted

• leece by leece

Yes, I had an impala right in the camera very obviously chewing. Okay, if I see more behaviour like that, I'll mark 'em as eating, thank you.

Posted

• leece by leece

http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG001829l munch munch munch

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

if they were chewing, heads up or laying down or had food in their mouth but head up, I marked them as eating, not just those with heads down and depends on what they were doing also, maybe added resting/standing/walking.

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator

I have always disliked marking the animals as eating because of the ambiguity of the word. I feel that the scientists would wish us to mark the animals when they were feeding ie taking the food from it's source rather than when they were eating, ie chewing the cud. The location of an animal feeding may be far removed from where it is eating. Just my thoughts, but it would be interesting to hear from a scientist regarding this.

Posted

• leece by leece

Interesting point.

Posted

• gross691 by gross691

We would not consider chewing cud to be eating.

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve

Where does this leave us, then., please?

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator in response to gardenmaeve's comment.

None the wiser ! 😃

Posted

• gardenmaeve by gardenmaeve

LOL.

Ok - chewing the cud is an important part of eating for ungulates. I'll count all such observed behavior as eating until told otherwise!

Posted