Snapshot Serengeti Talk

What is up with the Male lions neck>

• katieofoz by katieofoz

I dont see a collar, has it been trapped or something?

Posted

• F.KellyUMN by F.KellyUMN moderator

The actual collar could be concealed by the fur of the mane, enough to make it difficult to see. Otherwise less commonly collars do sometimes fall off, and you could be seeing the "dent" in the mane of where it used to be.

Posted

• vdurand by vdurand

A neck snare would seem odd for a lion, perhaps he got in a fight with another male? Does seem very even though.

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

This male was rescued from a snare in 2007 or so -- amazingly enough, the wound has never properly healed, but the male remains successful! This is Snaran - he and his brothers Twaran and Karan were resident in the Young Transect pride when this photo was taken.

Posted

(I should also say that it was pretty disheartening for a male so close to the center of the park to be snared. Males that are resident in a pride only range so far -- so the snare had to be pretty close to the park's center.)

Posted

• katieofoz by katieofoz

I thought it might have been a snare scare. So sad, but good to see him still out hunting! Its wonderful to be able to get first hand information on the animals we are seeing. Thank you

Posted

It's exciting for us to be able to share it! If you want to find out more about the lion monitoring, you can check out the lion project website at http://lionresearch.org/

Posted

• vdurand by vdurand

Wish there was a "like" button, that is awesome!

Posted

• vjb by vjb

Click the"heart" in the top right of the photo. It saves it to your favourites.

Posted

• Marinecreature by Marinecreature

Thank you, Lion Project, for being out there fighting for lions. Snares are deadlier and more prevalent than guns for wildlife all over the world. It would be great to have a link to this guy's rescue story if it's out there.

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist in response to Marinecreature's comment.

Here you go: http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2013/01/11/the-snaran-story/

Posted