Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Image enhancement suggestions

• PatrikD by PatrikD

Many of the night images show just a feet or two of brightly lit foreground, with lots of inky black background. It should be possible to show a lot more detail by doing a simple level normalization. You could add a button to the user interface that allows the user to switch to the normalized image whenever they want. Some of the daytime images that are washed out by sunshine could benefit from this as well.

Many users have complained about the small size of the images, and the standard response seems to be to use the browser-specific zoom functions. However, the images are often now shown at their full resolution, and I know tha at least in FireFox, zooming in the browser doesn't fix that!

For example, when I check the image info on one capture, it says "600px × 421px (scaled to 570px × 400px)". When I zoom in on that picture (Ctrl + in Firefox), it won't actually show me the full 600x421; it will simply show the 570x400 requested by the web page, but with bigger pixels! Clicking on View Image will show the full resolution, but returning to the Classifying page may reset to a new image capture.

So NO, relying on zooming in the browser is NOT a good solution - please provide some way to view the full resolution image without resetting the Classifying page!

Posted