Snapshot Serengeti Talk

What is this?

• Janet_Jaguar by Janet_Jaguar

enter image description here

What is this? The first time it came up, I didn't see twigs and thought it an elephant's leg. Now I have a repeat, meaning it is the background for a camera.

Also, I don't dare use "Talk" to ask the question on the picture, because any comments I make there drop into a black hole and I can never find them again. How does anyone use it? And do the scientists use these in researching the pics, or are my comments really being trashed by the system? It's very frustrating, not being given any findable guides to using this new system.

Posted

• Elizabeth.Ann by Elizabeth.Ann moderator

I believe this is the view of the tree the camera used to be attached to from the ground. Occasionally the animals get a little curious about the cameras and decide to get up close and personal with them. Also, I apologize that you feel your comments aren't getting responded to. We are excited and slightly overwhelmed by the number of people using the site and are trying to answer all questions and comments as soon as we can.

Posted

I'm not at all worried about being responded to, I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing it right or wrong.

Are these "comments" only another social discussion, or do they get saved as captions for the scientists?

How do I check them to see if anyone else has said something?

How, or am I able to, use hashtags to find previous comments on situations?

Posted

About the tree/elephant leg - I saw the sequence that pointed one camera straight down at some very green grass. First the left side show a big black butt. Then a bigger slice of said butt. Then the green grass. If I'd known how to share the sequence, I would have. You can't blame it all on curious cats. 😃

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Janet: the comments, tags, and discussions are not formally part of the data we're collecting. However, they can lead to interesting questions and ideas that we might want to investigate, as they are kept and attached to each photo. You should be able to find the discussions you've started or replied to by clicking "Profile" at the top of the Talk page, and scrolling down. If there's a discussion you want to keep special tabs on, you can click "follow" and then it will appear in a list when you click "Following" at the top of the Talk page.

Posted

That helps a lot, thanks. I'm retired, with no friends at all that want to use modern social media, so I'm really an idiot learning some of these systems.

Posted

Now this one is downright weird, part machine wheel, part sea urchin. ID and help welcome.

enter link description here!

latest oddness

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

I would guess buffalo for this one. Grey and wrinkly... ruminating over his/her Christmas dinner - see the date?

Posted

• SimonV2 by SimonV2

wow janet, that is.... odd. something hippo/elephant/rhino ish?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

The sparseness of hair, and shape of the legs, makes me think warthog. And I rather suspect that the "sea urchin" bit is, ummm, warthog penis. Kinda scary. I even googled it to try and check, but the web seems to be remarkably lacking in images of warthog penises...

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

Damn the internet - letting you down like that!

Posted

[grins] I know! Just as well I'm doing this from home - I really can't imagine trying to explain to a company IT security manager why I was googling "warthog penis"... !!!

Posted

Should have noted here that there's another discussion about this image, which resolved that it's a buffalo. The "sea urchin" bit also gets explained there too. 😃

http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000005/discussions/DSG00005li

Posted