Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Meteorite?

• izizou by izizou

Could that flash of light and then the puff of dust coming up from the ground be a meteroite falling on earth? I can't think of anything else that would not involve human intervention. If it is, dear aliburchard and kosmala and other scientist, you should look for it next time you get at that location. I'd appreciate you sending me a little piece if the treasure hunt ends up successfully. 😃

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

More likely insects...

Posted

• izizou by izizou

Insects at that speed? Look at photo 2. If you know which insect flies at that speed, please tell me its name.

Posted

• ahjorth by ahjorth

Well, I could tell you but I'm afraid there are so many it would be impractical of adding millions of lines to a discussion board like this.
    It is definitely not a meteorite.

Cameras have shutter speeds that can make quick objects seem like they are elongated or "smudged". It takes a few miliseconds for a camera to capture the image, and in those few miliseconds it captures all light it receives during that time. That's why you can take a camera and adjust the shutter speed, take a flashlight and create some pretty cool effects. Like this:

Shutter speed

Another interesting fact is how f.example telescopes like Hubble captures its images. Basically, Hubble points to a completely black patch of space. There is nothing there as far as any human eye can see. However, by opening Hubbles shutter wide open and leaving it like that, they capture all the light transmitted over days, even months, capturing light that have traveled billions of light years. Hubble can do this because those distances, a slight movement won't matter at all because of the relative positions of a galaxy 10 billion light years away and Hubble. But when you try to capture an insect flying without using a camera with a pretty quick shutter speed, you'll get effects like this picture.

I think I might have over-explained this, but at least now you know ^^

Posted

• Herokra by Herokra

nice flying Rods

Posted

• izizou by izizou

Don't worry, ahjort, you can't overdue it. I like knowing how things work and happen.
    Thank you kindly for taking the time. 😃

Posted