Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Help identify

• One_Ecology by One_Ecology

There are several zebras in this image but what is the one in the middle? It has not stripes like the others but is instead plain brown/tan..

Posted

• apmorgan by apmorgan

Not being authorative so much as practicing my identification skills here, but I'd say hartebeest. It's the only option in the "looks like antelope/deer" category with a long, black tail, and the body is about right. The sample images don't show that dark colouring on the front half of the body, but if you look up hartebeest on Google Images you'll find that the colour varies considerably.

What makes this one difficult is that the individual has light colouring on its throat and darker colouring on the side of its neck, which one naturally wants to use as an identifying feature. But because there are no candidate animals with that feature, it's probably just a slightly unusual hartebeest.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Actually, I'm fairly sure that's a wildebeest. They tend to have that grubby looking brown colour, and have long black tails. You often find them and zebras together, too. The hartebeests I've seen so far have been much lighter in colour, and less stockily built, with longer, narrower heads.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Re the dark colouring on the side of the neck - I think that's the wildebeest's mane...

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Wildebeest

Posted