Snapshot Serengeti Talk

horses

• Markbannister321gmail.com by Markbannister321gmail.com

Keep seeing things that must be horses. How should they be classified? Are researchers riding horses at times?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Are you sure they're not wildebeest? From certain angles, and particularly if the head isn't clearly visible, they might be mistaken for horses, with their mane of hair and smooth rumps.

Posted

• Dov by Dov

when zebras are really far away you can't see their stripes they look like grey horses and can also be mistaken for elephants.

Posted

• Veegee by Veegee

Wildebeestes have tails like horses, I made that mistake too my first day of viewing the animals, then I finally realized that each of the animals on our check list has multiple photos, so that helped me a lot. I have seen on the internet about a safari that is via horseback, which I would LOVE to take, too pricey tho, and have not seen any signs of it in all the photos I have looked at. I doubt they hang around the cameras.

Posted

• jolli by jolli

I haven't discovered how to start a new question, any help gratefully received. I want to talk about COWS. I had a photo of two cows and there wasn't anything I could say about them. What is one supposed to do? Thanks.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I saw another thread earlier today about cows, jolli - a couple of people there suggested marking them as "Human", since they're domesticated animals, and not something of interest for the survey, except that they indicate human presence. I haven't seen a definitive answer from one of the scientists, though.

Posted