Snapshot Serengeti Talk

What is this

• watchintheplains by watchintheplains

Anyone know which animal this is? I guessed buffalo... however, also noted something odd hanging between its legs, what could that be?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I'd agree with buffalo, yes. Nicely adorned with dried mud. 😃

As for the dangly bit.... heh, see the discussion in the following thread which will explain all. 😄

http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000005/discussions/DSG00005li

Posted

Oh my...! is something wrong with it?

Posted

Oops! I just realised you maybe weren't referring to that dangly bit. 😕 Do you mean the bulbous grey thing? I assumed that was a smooth rock/stone lying on the ground just where the buffalo is standing. But now I see it's actually attached to the buffalo, or appears to be. It looks kinda oversized for even a bull buffalo scrotum... either he's very well (if uncomfortably!) endowed, or he's got a nasty infection there!!!

Posted

Yes, it looks huge! If infected, I feel bad for this guy.

Posted

• chipo by chipo

Couldn't be a neighbour's part of the horns? A neighbour who is resting?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to chipo's comment.

Problem is, chipo, if you click from one image to the next through the set of three images, that grey thing moves exactly the same as the buffalo itself. As the buffalo shifts its weight, the grey thing moves with it, suggesting that it's attached.

Posted

• chipo by chipo

Maybe I found a relative of him? bro

Posted

Heheh! That one's big, but within "normal" range of big, unlike this guy here. 😃

Posted

• faythy by faythy

I would have guessed an elephant. Don't buffalos have smooth skin? This has deep wrinkles like an elephant. Also, I'm wondering if that.. thing... is a teet? But I could be very wrong on that lol.

Posted

Not sure why this buffalo is quite so wrinkly, but if you look at the hind leg, it's clearly covered in black hair. Not sure if whatever infection this guy has (assuming he does have an infection) is affecting things, but he's also clearly been wallowing in a nice muddy hole, and the mud has caked and dried on his coat, which also contributes to that effect. As for the... um... teat, I recommend the thread I mentioned earlier. 😄

http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000005/discussions/DSG00005li

Posted

• kofiandah by kofiandah

Folks, the "bulbous" thing is the buffalo's head/jaws/cheeks (the animal is head down, probably grazing). The black leg is its right front leg...so the animal is standing facing to our right.

Posted

• faythy by faythy

Now I feel daft. I didn't spot the furry leg.

Posted

• okopho by okopho

@kofiandah. I'm no expert on Buffalo anatomy, but isn't the head normally at the opposite end to the penis? 😉

I hesitate to go into too much detail on such delicate matters: but the image appears to show the sheath of the penis extending from right to left, ending with the famous Buffalo penis tassel (which is apparently a tuft of hair attached to its foreskin).

FWIW, my interpretation of the "bulbous thing" behind the leg, is that it is not one, but two objects. The one to the left of the leg is the scrotum; the one to the right is the inside of the opposite leg. So it's just an optical illusion that the two parts appear to move as one object.

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

Great sleuthing going on here! Nice observations.

Posted