Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Banded leg?

• chipo by chipo

Whose leg is this or isn;t it a leg? leg

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think maybe this is a zebra. I'd say we're seeing the back of a thigh, except that that begs the question "Where's the tail?". So, as I said, not 100% sure.

Posted

• paulj201 by paulj201

I would have thought the picture was the front leg of a bushbuck or a zebra. Both have stripey legs but having reconsidered, it is more likely to be a zebra.

Posted

I can see what you mean about bushbuck. I looked at that, but the pattern on a bushbuck's leg is a large band of white at the top of the leg, then an equally large patch of brown just above the knee, then white again fading to brown on the lower leg. The stripes in the picture just don't match that pattern, and in order to work, you'd see the knee joint, which isn't visible in the photo.

The reason I don't think it's a zebra leg is because the stripes on their legs are much narrower and closer together. These stripes are fairly wide and spaced out, which better fits the pattern at the back of the thigh. And I just realised that the frame where everything goes dark, with just a few bits visible, could be the result of the tail swishing round and obscuring the view. It's all kind of guesswork, though. 😃

Posted

• chipo by chipo

The colour had me totally confused, but indeed zebra sounds the most likely. I named it bushbuck though, onfortunately

Posted

Never mind. The data analysis can cope with mistakes. Just as well - in one of my early images, I managed to mistake two Dik Diks for Guinea Fowl! Heh! 😕

Re the colour - zebra stripes can look quite brown in certain lights, and young zebra start out with brown stripes that darken as they get older.

Posted

• vindkatte by vindkatte

Could that be a giraffe youngster? Does look more like spots to me in the upper right corner than real bands. Also - there is a very prolong second shadow on the ground, unmoving, while the shadow near the camera moves just a bit towards it. They're look quite huge to be from zebras.

Posted

• paulj201 by paulj201

On reflection, definitely young zebra/ the stripes are browner than we realise on them, especially with the younger ones.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to vindkatte's comment.

Re the shadows - I think the sun is quite low in the sky, like mid-to-late evening, and that can produce some very elongated shadows. 😃

Posted