Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Pair of eyes in the grass

• paulj201 by paulj201

I would love to know if there was another photo taken shortly after this one as there are two forward pointing eyes low down in the grass looking at this wildebeest. Can't work out how to find it though. Anyone?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Heh! I'm afraid the only way we've found is a major exercise in patience, and trial and error. 😕

When you click on the image here, that takes you to the image's own page, and shows the image ID. That page has a URL that ends with the image ID. In this case, the ID is ASG000eb01, and the URL is http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG000eb01. What you can do is start changing the last two characters of the URL in sequence, using the 9 numerical digits and the 26 letters (00, 01, 02 ... 09, 0a, 0b ... 0x, 0y, 0z, 10, 11, 12 ... 1x, 1y, 1z, etc through to z0, z1, z2 ... zx, zy, zz). The images are in no particular sequence, but the likelihood is they'll be from the same camera. As you view each one, you can see the date and time it was taken, so you can hunt this way for others taken by the same camera at around the same time. If you want to keep any of them, just collect them into a collection as you go.

It's a laborious process I'm afraid, so probably only worthwhile if there's something you really really want to track down. 😃

Posted