Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Wildcat?

• okopho by okopho

At least I'm hoping that's what it is, because it will be my first 😃

Strange fur, but it looks like it might be similar to this capture from a while back:

wildcat

ASG00066nv

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I'd go with wildcat, yep. 😃 I was really surprised, re that earlier image, to discover that they're more like ginger tabbies than brown tabbies. Wasn't what I was expecting at all! And the only image(s) I'd seen up to that point were black and white night shots, so the colour didn't really come across, and I guess I was thinking in terms of the Scottish Wildcat and that kind of colouring.

Posted

• okopho by okopho in response to dms246's comment.

Yes, when I do a google search for African Wildcat images, they mostly have a Scottish Wildcat look to them (i.e. tabby), as you say.

I did find this, though:

wildcat

Maybe they interbreed with domestic cats, or something?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

That's possible, yes. I know it's a problem with the Scottish Wildcat - there are reckoned to be very few pure wildcats left in Scotland, because there's been so much interbreeding with domestic cats.

Posted

• wilderzone by wilderzone moderator

The only african wildcats I've seen have been in southern africa, and they were brown tabby. With domestic cats, orange color is dominant in males, so I wonder if that's true in the wildcats as well?

Posted