Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Rhinoceros?

• chipo by chipo

It looks "dryer" than an hippo and not the hairs from a warthog and to low for an elephant. Can it be a rhino?

rhino

Posted

• kenya74 by kenya74

Looks like buffalo to me. A rhino tends to have more of a saddle-back and the reproductive organs are further back.

Posted

• okopho by okopho

Agreed that it's a Buffalo. Rhinos have a thick fold of skin over the top of the foreleg, and a deep "crease" between the belly and the hindleg.

Posted

• chipo by chipo

Okay thanks. Never seeing Rhinos doesn;t help a lot does it 😉 The grey colour had me totally confused.

Posted

• Veegee by Veegee

I have not seen one Rhino yet, they are elusive

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Sadly they are very rare and elusive indeed. Out of the over 3 million images processed so far (seasons 1-3, and part of season 4), only 17, yes 17, images have the tag "rhino". And out of those, only 6 are actually photos of rhinos. Now obviously there might be a few rhino images that haven't been tagged, but I'd imagine most people, if they see one, are likely to tag it, given how rare they are.

Tag collection "rhino" : CSGL00004p

Posted

• chipo by chipo

And then to read they have been poached again again again, how I hate that. Sad.

Posted

• wilderzone by wilderzone moderator

My family lived in Tanzania in the early 70s and I recently inherited all the photos from the many trips to the Serengeti. There were dozens of photos of rhinos. My grandmother even got attacked by a rhino (not in Serengeti, in Arusha Park). It makes me so sad to see how plentiful they were just 40 years ago.

Posted

• chipo by chipo

It is absolutely horrible. Lions, tigers, rhino's everyone getting or in the verge of extinction. And why!?

Posted

• MGHogue by MGHogue

I read where the illegal rhino horn horn market, as well as the ivory market, is "up" - meaning more poaching deaths, in part due to China's relaxing restrictions on carving horn/ivory. There seems to be an attitude among ivory / horn collectors that "I'm going to get the last of them before they are all gone" - hastening the demise of these animals. Nat'l Geographic has reported that there were 30,000 elephant poachings last year, and that the rhino's numbers have fallen to early 1970's levels and more.

We need to go beyond just an ivory 'ban' and educate people that rhino horn is not some miracle 'cure' (As it is often used in the Orient - ground into a powder for a tea). Unfortunately the Asian markets are driving these animals to extinction - probably in our lifetimes the last wild ones will be gone - and until we can get the idea that Ivory should not be used for religion (so much goes for that!) - and rhino horn will not cure anyone - these animal's future is doom, sad to say.

Posted

• chipo by chipo

What the japanese did with the tuna, stocked them in deepfreezers and will sell them for outrageous prices once they are extinct (soon).

Posted

• Michaelsachs by Michaelsachs

Sadly I think there is no way to stop the poaching wih education. Horns can be sold for 300K-500K USD, wich for alot of the population in africa is worth dieing for. I think solutions will have to be even more dramatic then they are now. Removeing of horns from rhinos by the game reserves themselves could be one solution, I'm sure there are others.
    Education could slow the trade, but by the time it sinks in - no rhinos will be left.
    Death penalty also slows pouching but becouse some areas in africa are so poor, the risk is still worth it.
    Anyone think/know of other solutions ?

Posted

• chipo by chipo

As long as greed rules everywhere, there won;t be a solution. In our time we will se all the top-animals go: lions, tigers, elephants, rhino's etc etc. Only in zoos they will remain and the zoo owners will claim they saved them. Forever doomed to an unnatural life, for the entertainment of the stupidist animal on this planet.

Posted