Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Non-Vervet monkey

• wilderzone by wilderzone moderator

On my endless quest to find good bird photos, I've been going through a lot of user's sets of "unusual" or "rare" items to see what I find. I'm quite sure this is not a Vervet. The species list from official park site lists the only other possible candidate as a Patas Monkey. Is that what it is? The range map on Wikipedia doesn't put them that far south. Primates are not my specialty, but I know it's not a Colobus since it's not in a tree. Thoughts?

Posted

• kenya74 by kenya74

The conservative suggestion is young baboon. The tail is held up like a baboon, there is a snout visible, and in frame three there is a hint of a rump patch. Young baboons have a visible neck and fairly prominent ear as in this case. The colour is not ideal but is within the range of some young baboons.

Posted

• okopho by okopho

It looks very similar to a Baboon. The only peculiarity is the colour of the fur, which appears to be reddish-brown in the image.

I think there are only two Baboon species normally found in Tanzania: the Olive Baboon and the Yellow Baboo. There is a Guinea Baboon which has reddish-brown fur, but it's normally only found in Western Africa.

As for Patas monkeys: don't they usually have quite a lot of white fur on the face and lower legs? I can't see any sign of that in the images.

Posted