Snapshot Serengeti Talk

what is this?

• schaep by schaep

I have no idea, lots of possibilities, but looking at pictures none really match.....

ASG000qqhm

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

Just a guess: Could be a duiker (not on the list). Margaret talked about them in the blog: http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2013/05/29/not-on-the-a-list/
    I looked at images on Google and the black legs seem to be a characteristic of some species of duikers. But I am just guessing...

Posted

• hayvel by hayvel

And what about a waterbuck ?

Posted

• hayvel by hayvel

Same day, not same hour, was a waterbuck here : ASG000qqhl

Posted

• wildebeesty by wildebeesty

I'd say waterbuck because of its colours and lots of fur

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Definitely H2Obuck - shaggy coat, black legs, white rump etc

Posted

• wildebeesty by wildebeesty

davidbygott you are back !!!!!!!!!! how was the trip? 😃

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator in response to wildebeesty's comment.

Still on safari! Watched a herd of these in Arusha NP today, came from Serengeti yesterday. First safari went well, still 5 more to do...

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

Wow! A herd of Waterbuck, don't think I've seen any camera trap images with more than 1 at a time, might be wrong, learn something new every day here, I thought they were solitary or small family groups. Obviously Impala, Grants and Tommys are often in large herds. What about Reedbuck, Dik-Dik n Bush Buck?

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

Waterbuck! (David, how are you so connected to the net from TZ?)

I love these giant, shaggy fellows. They always seem way too shaggy to be in a place as hot as Serengeti.

@AowlanCrystal -- dik dik are usually found alone or in pairs; I've only ever seen reed & bushbucks on their own, usually flushed from a thick patch of vegetation and very annoyed about it 😃

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Ali, it's the magic of Airtel - I find TZ so much easier for mobile web access than USA.
    AC - Dikdiks typically in monogamous pairs; Bohor Reedbuck varies from solitary (territorial male range covering that of 1-5 females) to mixed herds depending on habitat; Bushbuck usually solitary and nonterritorial.
    I recommend "The Safari Companion" by Richard D Estes as an easy-to-read intro to the biology of all the larger African animals.

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator in response to aliburchard's comment.

Thanks Ali for the info on Reedbucks, dik dik n Bushbucks.

With the waterbuck I agree they do look way too shaggy, looks like they ought to be in a more chilly climate and somewhere in some mountains that still have snowy higher levels and peaks in summer. Obviously works for them, that shaggy coat and I love not just that odd shaggy look, but the white eye brows and then the white around the nose, leaving the nose centre, looking like a black heart.

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator in response to davidbygott's comment.

Thanks David for the info and also the book recommendation too.

Posted