Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Camera glitches?

• Greenbrier by Greenbrier

This is not the first time I've noticed two small white dots that wink. These two are in the grass to the right of the zebra. Are these bad pixels in the camera?
    If the photo was taken here in Michigan, I'd guess it was the sun reflecting off candy-wrapper litter -- ooooo!!!!

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

I think it could be a white butterfly passing by. We get numerous butterflies on the photos.

Posted

• thowes by thowes

Another question on cameras -- may have already been asked but I might have missed it 😃 What is the reason behind the single vs triple shots? Are some cameras set to take singles only? Or do different types of movement cause the camera to do a single or a triple? Thanks in advance!

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

Hi Thowes -- good question. So, all the cameras are set to capture 3 photos every time they trigger. That way, if an animal is moving, we have the best chance of catching it. In 2010, we used infrared flashes and the cameras were able to capture 3 photos at night. Starting in 2011, we started using regular (incandescent) flashes since the infrareds were so blurry; those can only take one picture per flash. Also, sometimes the cameras malfunction and revert to taking only one picture per trigger -- we don't know why they seem to have a mind of their own!

Posted

• thowes by thowes

Thanks Ali!

Posted