Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Possible double.

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

I got this today. I know I had one either very similar or this exactly before. I'm saving this and going to try to retrieve the other. Hope it works

Posted

Well, I didn't do that right. I managed to put it under a different classification It was ASG000y3fo

Posted

All of the photos taken near this one on the card look almost exactly alike and could easily be confused as the same one as I just did. My 2 were on different dates.This photo id ends in z and if you go back through the alphabet to g,h or so, they look almost like the same photo. Maybe the clouds change a little. I could see that this is could be the problem.

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

I know I have done this in the past, even with pictures that have animals in them. The hartebeest hanging out at the camera in season 4 was one of them. I could have sworn I had classified that image already but when I started keeping track of the time/date I had to realize that they were not the same after all.

Posted

• sisige by sisige

I run into the same thing sometimes when I am checking images in a series in an attempt to find a better shot of something that's only partially visible right in front of the camera. You'll go through 15 images and the darn thing will hardly move! I've also seen lions sleeping on those rocks (you likely know the ones) that were there for a bunch of pictures. Makes it hard to tell if they are part of the landscape or not! They must pull several hundred images off each camera each season, so it's not surprising that a few of those look almost identical.

Posted

Well, at the risk of making me look a bit foolish I decided to put that up there even though I messed up doing it. I agree with what you both said. I didn't start until season 5 though. Those Harry/Harriet hartebeest hang out right in front and you are sure it is the same image!

I've done what you said also Sisige. You can go through whole alphabet changing the last 2 digits and the animal just wants its photo taken!

Until I brought the photo over to discuss I couldn't get that ID number. Personality, I think it is separate, very similar, images and since we can't see them side by side, or the ID unless we bring it over here our brain perceives it as the same image. You know sort of like a witness, not totally reliable, but you've got the gist of it.

Well, I don't know if this is of any help or not, but I saw the thread come up and when I saw the image I knew I saw the foreground before and believed it to be the same. Maybe it will contribute to the discussion.

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

Nothing foolish about it, it comes up occasionally and I am sure the folks running the site would like to know if there is a problem with duplicate images showing up. If it only happens once or so it would not be a big problem since duplicate IDs from the same person can be sorted out. But it would also be a waste of time if we end up doing the same one again and again instead of seeing a new one, especially since there still a number to go. So don't worry, it's appreciated! And thanks for coming back and reporting what you found out.

Posted

• sisige by sisige

I was just looking through my collections and came across this duo and thought I'd share it. Talk about deja vu!

ASG000s9ui -- Captured: October 26th 2012, 4:59:17 am
    ASG000s9ui

ASG000s9i2 -- Captured: September 4th 2012, 8:09:28 am
    ASG000s9i2

Posted