Snapshot Serengeti Talk

What is this?

• sisige by sisige

See also ASG0011dmx for the next capture, with two of the animals.

Not sure if this is a Dik Dik or not. It doesn't seem to have a prominent eye spot, and the black nose and mouth shape look wrong. Nor does it have a spot below the ear, which would make it a Reedbuck. I don't think it's a Duiker, because it doesn't have the stripe down the center of the face. So...

Update: just refreshed my memory on another candidate: could it be a Steinbuck?

Thanks!

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

I think you are right, it is a steenbuck/steinbuck. I am just going by comparing images I found online. The ears look right for a steinbuck, very large with a black pattern on them. Also the big black nose that somewhat extends up. According to Wikipedia they have a very short tail that is often not visible (other than reedbuck). I am sure David can provide more information the next time he is around...

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator in response to areinders's comment.

Well done - your diagnostics are good. I would add the rich warm tan colour with clearly defined white belly, and the little spike horns (in male) that stick straight up with no hair tuft around them - unlike dikdik. And it lacks the dark 'shins' of a reedbuck. They live mostly in open country, in pairs, and are slightly bigger than dikdik and smaller than tommies or reedbuck.

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator in response to davidbygott's comment.

Thanks, I knew you'd be able to fill in more details!

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Thanks to both of you for the additional details on this animal!

Posted