Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Time stamp confused more than usual!

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

I have noticed that the time stamp on the photos in the discussion section all say 4:00 AM. On the ID page they have a different time, which has never matched the time on discussion page. But now, for the last several days, they are all saying 4:00 AM.Has this got to do with getting ready for Season 7 and correcting that time problem? Just thought I would draw attention to this in case it is a new problem developing. If the photo is a photo in your profile,the time stamp does not change.

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Heh, I never realized the timestamps were customized to the viewer timezone, but I assume that's the case, since they all say 5:00 am for me. I also noticed that the captures from a single camera aren't numbered in sequence anymore. 😦

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

Yes, for several days now you can not find the image taken before or after by changing the numbers. I thought I was doing it wrong until it kept happening. Then I realized something was up.

Posted

• parrish by parrish admin

It was a different time format in the data we were processing that caused a problem. Timestamps for new and old images should be corrected now. Also, they're no longer relative to your timezone, they're fixed to EAT (Tanzanian time) since that makes a lot more sense to me. Enjoy the new data!

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday in response to parrish's comment.

Thanks for the update. But I still wonder if something is amiss with sequencing in addition. If I change the last digit to see what was there in the previous image the month may jump ahead. Sometimes if I go for the next image I get one in the previous days or month instead of later. I realize not all cameras capture every day but this seems like a sequencing problem (mix-up, reversal) of some sort. Maybe it is a non-issue, but it comes across as different than before and I don't know if it is an issue as such but thought I would point it out. Thanks

Posted

• sisige by sisige in response to mistyfriday's comment.

@parrish : Thanks for the fix! I'm glad it was a quick one, as I figured we'd just be stuck with it. And I agree, EAT definitely makes the most sense! (And trust me, we are certainly enjoying it!)

As for the sequencing issue... I think before season six, the images all came in randomized as far as date and time, making it very difficult to find adjacent captures. That seems to have been a very useful improvement made in season six, when they started numbering them all in time order from each camera, as it gave us more information to figure out some of those tough IDs. It would be great if that could be implemented in season 7, but if the images have all been numbered and uploaded, I suspect we may have to live with out before&after shots.

Posted