Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Territory challenges

• tillydad by tillydad moderator

This behaviour is known as ground-horning and is one of up to 30 different ways in which a male will defend his territory. It is a challenge ritual that occurs daily with his neighbours. Other displays include vigorous tail swishing, head shaking, horn sweeping the air, pawing the ground and urination, amongst others. He may also launch a feint attack during which he will adopt the combat attitude of dropping to his knees.

He will also be extremely vocal in defence of his territory.

Hope that this is useful, if you want to know more let me know 😃

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan in response to tillydad's comment.

Fascinating stuff, thanks!
    Slightly puzzled that I haven't seen more examples, considering the vast number of wildebeest herds I've classified! Perhaps this was just more obvious because of the dust.
    There's obviously much more to wildebeest life than plodding and eating 😉

Posted

Keep your eyes peeled - it will become another obsession if you are anything like me . I love analysing the pics looking for different aspects of behaviour, and not just for the "boring" wildebeest. I have seen urination and head shaking among the countless pics of gnus that have passed before me.

I find that this site is providing brilliant examples of all sorts of behavior for all of the species. It really is a unique way to study the animals and long may it continue 😃

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

Yes, indeed. Thanks to your info, I've already seen several behaviours and gone "Aha!"

Posted

Just come across another one - see image ASG001d6r4

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

And another ASG001dpy3

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator in response to parsfan's comment.

It's great to see other behaviours, I find it fascinating. ASG001e0hb and ASG001a4ui are another 2 from today. It would be great to capture as many of these as possible, who knows we may discover a previously unknown one !! 😃

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

In the dark 😃 ASG0019de3

Posted

Great find - this confirms that there is always time for a dispute 😃

Posted

Another behaviour here ASG001dkk0 😃

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

Another good one ASG001ue3s

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator

This is great, informative and interesting thread. Here also some nice ones of wildebeest territorial behaviour.
    ASG001vec9 , ASG001vfcb , ASG001vmlc , ASG001u59d , ASG001x41q 😃

Posted