Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Accuracy in identification

• foma by foma

This photo illustrates a question that I am routinely having.

There are clearly a large number of animals in the background that I can't be 100% about. However I wonder if it would be useful for your research to know that this picture contains 3 wildebeests and a nondescript large herd of something in the background. Additionally there have been photos where it was very dark or blurry but I had a reasonable guess as to what the animal was, Would it be helpful to be able to rate how certain I am that my classification is correct?

Not understanding the final use of these data I don't know if something like this would be helpful.

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Thanks for making your best guess about these difficult images. We'll be showing each image to multiple people and combining your answers with other people's. So you don't have to worry about indicating your confidence level. And yes, it would be useful to know about the background herd of "somethings" -- likely more wildebeest -- but we'll be able to get that information by pooling all the images and their identifications together. What you're already doing is perfect.

Posted