Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Lion at the right ?

• SirSchumii by SirSchumii

The wildebeest at the right looks scared and the yelow/goldish thing in front of it looks like a lion ?

Posted

• F.KellyUMN by F.KellyUMN moderator

I threw the picture up in Preview on my computer and zoomed in from there. When zoomed, it looks like it is a piece of wood or something, there is too much lumpy texture for it to be a lion. Good catch, though!

Posted

If it is some kinda wood how do you explaine that the wood are moving into the picture ??
    Coldblooded wood ? hehe sory but it moves into the picture and the wildebeest are looking scared/weird behavior ..
    I have never seen a wildebeest run around with wood like a dog c",)

And since the cam isn't moving then the "wood" must have had some energy to move it ...

Posted

• vdurand by vdurand

Looks like wood to me too and just the grass in front of it is moving 😃

Posted

Nah it isnt the grass .. I would bet my life on that .. It might be the wildebeest that moves it inside the pic -- but i cant see how the grass could do that .. Look at where the "wood" are in the picture where you cant see it. do you see eny grass moving ? i dont ..
    And look how it crumb its body like pp does when gets shocked. We dont move our legs first, we make a weird "jump" that crumbs the body..
    And it looks wery aware of something i think ..
    And all they other are grassing like nothing happend, that is normal as well. Just saw a herd of wildebeest and only the one hunted were scared. the other just looked up once in a while to see what the lions were doing (they were waiting inside the herd for the wildebeest to get tirred c",)
    So that wont indicate anything either 😕 ..

Posted

I might not be right that it is a lion but nothing proofs me wrong..

Posted

• izizou by izizou

Could also be a pale young wildebeest. If you google "young wildebeest", some of them are that color. Could also explain the interest/reaction shown by "old" wildebeest.

Posted

izizou your the god c",) you must be right if it isnt a lion ..
    Accually i seems to remember they have a kind of scared look when they turn around to look at their newborn, so that sound wery likely c",)

Thanks mate

Posted

• izizou by izizou

Oh yes, I had that look as well looking at my young kids! 😃)

Posted

LMAO i guess i gonna do that my self someday when im going to be a dad c",)

Posted

• izizou by izizou

Good luck when the time arrives...Back to your picture: I think you were right in saying that it cannot be a piece of wood - it wasn't there before, not even hidden by grass, it's too big for that and has come out of nowhere, like the adult. It's a bit frustrating to be able to start a discussion only when you have finished with an image. Unless there is a way I don't know about.

Posted

Thanks hehe if i dont end up as an 24/7 voluntary in africa c",) Dont have any family here in Denmark and love animals more than anything else, so in the new year i will try by all means to get down there to live and die, if any knows "howto" then dont hesitate to write to me !
    And yeah a picture should be able to be discussed before 'your' classification, but i guess no one will ever find out if it is a carnivore hunting or a calf 😕 -- However after seing the calf in same coulor like ur said then im 60-40% sure that it is a calf c",)
    They should have a picture of a calf in that coulor in the helping tool .. Hartebeest also looks wery white on it bag legs/rump on the InTool pictures, witch have confused me more than once c",) And since novice can help out here then it is kind of a must to have all angles and possible coulor of the animal ..

I dont know either if you can discuss it before classifying somehow 😕 -.-

Posted

• izizou by izizou

I can't help with your plans, but I wish you good luck. I have just pressed finished on a picture where two more types of animals (and I knew which ones) were present but not yet identified, so I'm going to sleep. It's hard to stop!

Posted

I have seen on some national parks they look after vulanteers so i'll find out .. Yeah its wery addicting -- Night mate

Posted