Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Any difference between male and female lion noses?

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Heh... weird kind of question, I know. All I got here, though, was a nose, small part of a cheek, and a tongue. I'm reasonably sure it's a lion. Assuming that's correct, though, is there any distinguishing difference between the shape of male and female lion noses? There was something about this one that made me think "male lion" - something about the angle between the nose and the rest of the cheek. But that might be total fantasy on the part of my brain desperately groping for some sort of peg to hang the identification on. 😃 So I thought I'd ask, against the highly unlikely event that I get another similar shot one day. 😄

Posted

• craigpacker by craigpacker scientist

That's definitely a lion nose -- but hard to say which sex it is. I'm tempted to say "male" just because it looks like it belongs to a large individual and the darker/scarred snout is more typical of a male...

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Thanks for that reply, Craig. At least I know I wasn't too wide of the mark in my identification on this image.

Heh... I'm starting to think that, in addition to the rump shots you've provided for the gazelles, we need comparison shots of other isolated bits of anatomy (noses, ears, hooves/paws, etc), given how often we just get a small bit of an animal showing in the photograph! 😄

Posted