Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Night shots

• gblink by gblink

I reallt don't know what to do with the night shots. There is really something there but absolutely no way even for guessing. Any suggestion?

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Difficult. I usually copy into photoshop and then lighten it, but even that doesn't help much here. I think it's buffalo.

Posted

• gblink by gblink

I find, that zooming in or lightening helps only minimally if at all, depending on the resolution of the capture/display of the image as well as the light conditions. Our guesses will reflect the uncertainty, those animals simply out of range to be identified.

Posted

• craigpacker by craigpacker scientist

A lot of people have been frustrated by the lack of an I-don't-know button -- but the idea is for everyone to make a guess and maybe a consensus will emerge. On these eye-shine photos, the guesses will be all over the place. Later on, a bunch of us who have worked in the Serengeti will try to figure them out ourselves. And we may just have to discard pictures like this one.

Posted

• gblink by gblink

Although I had questions at first, I'm not frustrated at all, since now I understand your system better. This crowd sourced classification system will probably serve you well to asses the confidence of the identification. Users might feel frustrated though, since they think about not recognizing the animal as messing it up, instead of generating a piece of data that you can use.
    As for the requests of zooming in, if you have posted the images at full or good enough resolution, it should not make a difference in terms of data gathering. If your assessment is, that it won't add to the information you get, it is really unnecessary to provide us with that option. At first, I thought some kind of loupe button might help to look at certain part of the image. I work on images often, so I feel compelled to use it to see the details, but it probably doesn't worth the effort in terms of gains.
    I have downloaded some of the best images I found on my new KindleFireHD, 8.9, and it looks really cool, almost better on it, even though the screen of my Mac is already very good.
    I am still exploring the project, the site and the functions we are offered to use, since I joined in when we almost run out of the current sets. I don't mind at all being experimented on assessing user behaviour, since it is an important element of developing projects like this. I feel thankful being able to be the part of it. It's a great science project, I can't wait to see the outcome of your research.

Posted

A loupe button would be a really good idea -- I'll talk to the guys at Zooniverse...

Posted

• ci.el.o by ci.el.o

i had a very, very similar shot , and i was able to discern buffalo, from the center of horns and ears. in this one you can see an ear on the one on the right, streight on 90 and then droopy,
    to me they are buffalo
    thank you zooniverse for such a great oportunity of contributing our little bit

Posted

• gblink by gblink

I mostly use loupe functions from photo editing software, but I have seen it done on content within the web browser. There ought to be a straightforward way to add a script for a plugin to use on the site. I think the approach, that magnifies just a portion of the image as the mouse rolls over that area would be the best to reveal more details.
    On images such as this example, that indeed might as well be buffalo, it may not help at all. Overall, we might be better able see details on a larger fraction of the shots though. We would certainly feel more confident, that we did everything we could to identify the animals.

Posted

Sorry, but the site managers have told me that a built-in loupe function would be too difficult to add. Everything is geared towards high volume and speed of downloads...

Posted

• BBCoaster by BBCoaster

In windows go to accessories and then ease of use, there is a magnifier which is pretty good, for instance in the above image there appears to be at least two wilderbeest.

Posted

• BBCoaster by BBCoaster

Above should have read, ease of access.

Posted