Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Ostrich?

• DiscoNixon by DiscoNixon

I keep seeing a similar shape/color animal but I'm not sure what it is. On the far left, second to last, is that pinkish black thing an ostrich? I'm sure it's not a gazelle.

Posted

• DiscoNixon by DiscoNixon

Oh wait it has horns, wildebeest?

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

It doesn't seem to move. It's not an ostrich. If it's an animal at all, could be a topi, they are often around that tree.

Posted

• dodone by dodone

What to record: The animal that tripped the camera, or that interesting one in the background? In this case I would record the Tommy, but there are times when a common animal (Zebra or Wildebeest) trips the camera, but a rare animal is captured in the background. It happened the other day and the animal in the background (which is what I recorded) was an ostrich.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Dodone - you can record more than one species for an image. After you've recorded one species, don't click on "Finish". Go ahead and select the second species, enter its info, and click on "Identify". You'll see the species you've identified listed in the top left of the image (you can use the "x" next to the species name there to remove that listing from the image, if you realise you made a mistake, or miscounted, or whatever). You can add as many species as necessary that way, and only click on "Finish" when you've identified all the species visible in the image. Ideally, you want to identify any and all species in an image.

Posted