Snapshot Serengeti Talk

What is this?

• Perlo121 by Perlo121

I've marked as a zorilla, because its the only creature that seems to have a bushy tail of this colour. Any ideas?

Posted

• okopho by okopho

I classified one a bit similar to this recently:

ASG000dhez

unknown animal

It's really frustrating when the animal is just out of shot, or partially obscured, like this.

I think I classified mine as a Jackal - but to be honest, I not at all sure.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I think what you've both got there is a White-Tailed Mongoose. It's larger and bushier than the mongoose species shown in the ID photos, and the scientists have confirmed in previous threads that it is present in the study area. Here's a link to a photo for comparison : http://www.pbase.com/image/50492415

Posted

• okopho by okopho in response to dms246's comment.

Yes, I completely forgot about the White-Tailed Mongoose! It's a pity the example images don't include one, as they appear to be almost as common as the Banded Mongoose.

Here's a couple of clear examples:

ASG0005l9j

White-Tailed Mongoose

ASG0008vhl

White-Tailed Mongoose

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to okopho's comment.

Indeed. In fact, I haven't had any photos of banded mongoose to identify - the only mongoose photos I've had have been White-Tailed Mongoose (I keep wanting to type Mongeese! lol!).

Posted

• Aprilwitch by Aprilwitch

Shows that you can learn by these threads. I have also had one of two of these bushy tails a while back.

Posted